Smoove Posted August 21, 2013 Report Posted August 21, 2013 I have Infinity Reference 6020cs 6.5-Inch Two-Way Components with passive X-overs. Running off an RF 300s. Amp set with a DD-1 at -0db. For the most part the components sound good. There are some notes that feel like they are ripping through my ears. Turning down the treble on the deck makes the components sound like crap. If I turn down the gain too much the highs cant keep up with the bass. So here are my choices for taking the edge off the tweets. 1: Set the tweet @ -3db at the crossover 2: Flip the positive and negative at the crossover 3: do both 1 and 2. I am not ready to buy a processor and go active yet. Need $ for that to happen. 2 Team Fi 15's v1 2 DD M5's 970amps of Alt 6th order blowthroughThe truck Blowthrough build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155555-smooves-1996-chevy-ext-cab-c1500-slow-build/The 350z build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170694-smooves-2003-nissan-350z/ My FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smooves-Car-Audio-and-performance/719746144805343 Team Fi Audio http://www.ficaraudio.com/
Bmike Posted August 21, 2013 Report Posted August 21, 2013 the only way to tell is to go ahead and run through your list, see if it helps and if not then you'll have to find alternatives, I recently went active with a audiocontrol 2xs . I had to change the crossover modules in it to fit my application, they come set at 90 hz and 33hz, for a few bucks I made my own modules and set it at 3750 for cross over point and 60 hz as my cut out, all was done for $105 bucks, not that bad if you ask me. 2007 trailblazer lthead unit- pioneer p4300dvd crescendo ft-1 supertweeters pioneer m650 pros audiocontrol 2xs crossover Rockford fosgate p200-2 highsrockford fosgate p400-2 mids1- fi btl 18amps- saz 3500battery- evermax in front, 2 9a31 dekas in rearwires all knuconceptz 1/0 and rcas
Kevin M Posted August 22, 2013 Report Posted August 22, 2013 No. 1 2005 Ford Focus zx4 AMT's and Planars 18" Infinite baffle
SnowDrifter Posted August 22, 2013 Report Posted August 22, 2013 Try all combinations and see what sounds best. I'm the person who throws numbers out the window in times like this. None of what you listed is necessarily harmful, so just see what sounds best to you ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
Smoove Posted August 22, 2013 Author Report Posted August 22, 2013 It sucks, sounded great day 1 and 2 days later my ears are killing and the high peaks are more obvious. How does reversing the polarity make highs less peircing? 2 Team Fi 15's v1 2 DD M5's 970amps of Alt 6th order blowthroughThe truck Blowthrough build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155555-smooves-1996-chevy-ext-cab-c1500-slow-build/The 350z build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170694-smooves-2003-nissan-350z/ My FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smooves-Car-Audio-and-performance/719746144805343 Team Fi Audio http://www.ficaraudio.com/
BboyTaktix Posted August 22, 2013 Report Posted August 22, 2013 I was also wondering, what are the potential advantages of clicking in that -3dB switch on my passive crossover for my JBL P660C like OP is thinking of doing? I have it set at 0db right now and always have...does it help for imaging with the mids when they are mounted further apart? or just generally helps to blend music together? My crossovers are inside my door panels so rather not re-open them just to play with the button and see the difference in sound lol 2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp) SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)
Colin - STAPUFT Posted August 22, 2013 Report Posted August 22, 2013 You can try a combo of all of the above, but I agree with ScottishBear. I would put the tweets on the -3db setting first and give that a try for a while. All that does is lower the output of the tweeter and leaves your mid alone. 12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro Build & Comment Log Un-Interrupted Build LogYouTube Channel Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.
finkster Posted August 22, 2013 Report Posted August 22, 2013 There is no answer without trying it. DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active Eclipse cd7000 I serve drunks for a living
Smoove Posted August 23, 2013 Author Report Posted August 23, 2013 I will test this weekend, I gotta pull the door panels to try both options. 2 Team Fi 15's v1 2 DD M5's 970amps of Alt 6th order blowthroughThe truck Blowthrough build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155555-smooves-1996-chevy-ext-cab-c1500-slow-build/The 350z build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170694-smooves-2003-nissan-350z/ My FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smooves-Car-Audio-and-performance/719746144805343 Team Fi Audio http://www.ficaraudio.com/
White Lightning Posted August 23, 2013 Report Posted August 23, 2013 Sounds to me like your tweeters are completely out of phase ... You check to make sure that your components are in phase ?? Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado "The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually" Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet) Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.