I set my gains with the dd1, usually between track 5 setting and 7 settings. Voltage shouldn't be an option. The box is giving the subs a combined 4.8 cu. ft after all displacement. Really considering that 5500 now.

To answer the OP -- the Z v.4 line has been known to handle ~2x or so of it's rated power.

A thermal failure is unlikely in most applications -- you would be more likely to damage the lead-wire via clipping or perhaps even damage the spider itself physically. In one of our test bench setups here (Jovanni's Golf) on a 3500D @ 0.5 ohm we saw these type of things before thermal failure. He did have a massive 3 cubic foot box for one 12" woofer, though, so a more reasonable box would largely eliminate the possibility of physical spider damage (2.25 or so seems to be pretty ideal in our testing so far). So just keep an eye on clipping and you can run a ton of power on them =)

dont let sprkn_ranger see this.

My (4) Zv4 18s came in yesterday. Im running 2 at the moment on an NS1. 2 of them are laughing at my NS1. Ive been beating the shiz out of them and they barely get warm and havent smelled a coil.

Well your bc3500 has the potential to give the subs (Minimum RATED),after impedance rise,electrical efficiency & enclosure efficiency you probably have never given them minimum rated power. A bc5500 will surely be more suitable especially since you won't need to clip the signal to actually get them suckers moving,however if you do clip the signal at those power levels you will have to be very careful.

rated power? never heard of it :)

head room is always nice

bimmer havnt seen ya around in a while

I think some of you and your buddies grossly overestimate how much power these subs are seeing on a daily basis. Lol.

But I'll agree with Jacob on this one (obviously). You'd definitely get them into trouble mechanically before you thermal it on clean power. And mechanical limits are more easily recognizeable. But clipping is a bitch. I've gotten one stinky on 2k clipped before it reached mechanical limits.

I know a guy named Nic Watts from Jacksonville who's feeding an Everest 5k on each zv4 12, he has 4 zv4 12's on 4 5k's in a 4th order, and the setup is very musical. Those zv4's can take an ass load of power.

• Like 2