Second Skin Audio

Sundown TC-SMD, 12 inch???

audiofanaticz

Got some parts in today to finally build some other beasts.

After I was in awe from the quality of parts, and just how it seems sundown is always pushing the envelope farther I got to thinking.

Im sure people want pics, so here we go!

Typical cone/surround next to the zv4 surrounds, these things are gorgeous and the tapered neck joint that looks somewhat reinforced is sexy

20131023_141202_zps25f24147.jpg

An Ascendant Audio SMD motor, that Ascendant Audio wont sell me a recone for, so Its a nice $800+ paper weight.......
20131023_133755_zps5caeba7c.jpg

mhmmmmmm

20131023_134557_zps563885a9.jpg

20131023_134547_zps34da88db.jpg

Now this wouldn't work as a 12 for a few reasons sadly, but it could be done with some custom made parts.

One of the issues is the extremely long pole piece, it extends to the spider landing which is actually sitting a tad higher then it should right now since the baskets are made for a 3inch coil, that being said on a 4inch basket the pole will be sticking passed the spider landing. However with a custom machined ring, I think you could raise the basket a good bit to give you clearance there, but machining gets expensive

20131023_140143_zps23cf3fa8.jpg

The next issue I can see is keeping such a long coil linear without doing spaced spiders, those being a must to keep such a heavy long coil and former linear, finding a basket that will allow a decent spaced spider setup in a 12inch version maybe a challenge. A TI basket just dont have that clearence between the spider and surround landing. Maybe the new sundown baskets would be a solution to that tho.

But its something to get some ideas rolling in an attempt to get this a working sub again since no matter how many multi thousands of dollars you spent at a company you get shit on.

Did they say why they wouldn't or couldn't make you a recone?

Edit: Reason I ask is because Im pretty sure B-Eazy just got a recone for his SMD from them a few weeks ago

Vehicle
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche(Co-Co)

DNX9980HD
6 Team Fi 15's(King Edition)
3 DC 9k's
8 Nendo PWX 8's
4 Custom Steg 4" Super Tweeters
1 DC Audio 175.4
1 DC Audio 90.4
Rockford 360.3
3 DC Power 370xp Alts(Externally regulated)
21 D1600's
2 D4800's
All SMD RCA's
AudioTechnix Deadner
Viper Alarm

My YouTube- http://www.youtube.c...NG?feature=mhee
Link to buildlog- http://www.stevemead...4-15s-2-dc-9ks/
Link to UBL- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165059-ublkings-avalanchecoco-new-build-starting8-king-edition-15-team-fis-in-a-wallyes-a-wall/

96576a0.jpg

Banner3_zpsa237d00a.jpg

This looks like it might get interesting

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

I don't have much input on how to make it work, but that would be one bad assss sub for sure. Good luck !!

Current setup in my 96 Hoe

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Amps - (4) Crossfire C5 1700D's, MTX Thunder 5604(mids), PPI Art 300.2 (tweets)

Batts - 4 91ah rear batts, 50ah batt up front.

Subs - 2 Crossfire XSv2 18's

Alt - Singer 330A

Front stage - Random JL & Eclipse mids, Eclipse tweets

that would be the coolest woofer ever. and I love the gun

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived