Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Help me redesign my SP4's box


Shigshwa

Recommended Posts

Posted

Currently, my SP4 15 sits in a box with 4 cu ft and tuned to 32. Specs are right below. It was deemed fine back when I was only pushing like 2000 watts into it, but now that I'm powering it with a 3.5k, I feel like I need to rebuild a box to better suit it. In the current box, the subs peak at 40 hz, and I feel like perhaps for the wattage I'm putting into it, perhaps there's too much box volume, and perhaps there is too little port area.. Basically, I wanna ask, by doing things like lowering box volume or increasing port area or changing port tuning, would this result in louder lows and more air pushed? Things like that. It'd be nice to be able to do things like hairtricks.

5le9.png

Posted

Reducing the box volume and increasing the port area while keeping other specs the same will both increase the tuning. No way to tell exactly what it'll do in your vehicle however without building it and testing it out

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif
Posted

First your port area is too small. There is a guy on here doing a hair trick on a single SP4 15 from the trunk. but he is doing 5cuft and 17sqin of port with 3500w. I am by no means saying you should build the same thing. I am saying these subs are good and will take a beating. Do you have the extra spider in your SP4?

You say you already powering it with a 3500w? What dont you like about the subs performance at this point that makes you wanna change?

Posted

I want my subs to be able to move enough air to do hair tricks, I can sacrifice output in the upper range to achieve this.

Yes, I have the space spider.

Posted

Id go 3.75 cubes, 15 sq in per cube tuned at 25 26. Thats what my xs v2s like and I'm pushing 4k each

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

Posted

This guy SMOOVE is taking about had/has a 1 ohm sp4 on a 4300rms@1ohm amp,yes he is/was running it at .5 ohms on very decent electrical,also his car is sealed up like crazy.

I have a simular setup on the same amp,sealed up and everything I can do hair tricks but nothing like that dudes altima with a single 15" sp4. It gets tricky especially on certain cars

These guys have a good idea,since your running more power you can try to drop the box volume or extend the port.

Posted

Hm.. So suppose I increase port area to reduce or eliminate any chuffing that may have been present, and I keep the net box volume and tuning the same. What would this improve? Would this allow for the port to output more or.. would this simply improve the sound quality at high volume?

Posted

You still haven't told us if your box is in a hatch, trunk, or ???? And is it 2 subs or 1. You have put an "s" on the word sub a couple of times. Yes a bigger port would make less chuffing.

You say you are willing to sacrafice upper range for hair tricks, but then you ask if a bigger port will improve sound quality at a high volume. Your goals seem mixed. Improved sound quality usually means you not losing the range.

Posted

You still haven't told us if your box is in a hatch, trunk, or ???? And is it 2 subs or 1. You have put an "s" on the word sub a couple of times. Yes a bigger port would make less chuffing.

You say you are willing to sacrafice upper range for hair tricks, but then you ask if a bigger port will improve sound quality at a high volume. Your goals seem mixed. Improved sound quality usually means you not losing the range.

Well, Camry, so it's in a trunk, and I only have one. Sorry, I use "subs" a lot, "sub" sounds a bit strange. I wanted to know what less/no chuffing caused by low port area does.

So basically, I wish to gain more output in the ranges 35hz and below to a point where I can hairtrick (doesn't need to be floating as if I had 6 18s, just enough to get the hair flapping a bit, but not so little as if the hair was twitching), and I'm willing to lose some volume in the 40hz+ range to achieve this, but I don't wanna tune to like 20 hz or something and get it so flat and extended that I lose the hump in the response curve. I want to know what ways I can redesign my box to do this. I say redesign because I can add at most like 2-3 inches to the depth, and I was thinking of playing with the port. Right now, aside from changing the port length, I can also change the width, which would give me more port area, the correct amount port area, and so I'm also asking how this would affect anything.

Or, for the power, space, and kind or setup I have (box facing trunk, so not sealed), is this pretty much not possible?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5740 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...