Mechman Alternators

Mechman - Need your help ASAP!

Here is the info mechman gave me when I asked about an alt. Not sure the size of pulley.

Those vehicles have a pretty low idle speed, and a relatively small crank pulley, so I generally recommend either the 170 amp or the 240 amp S series unit if you want really good output below 800 engine RPM. The 320 amp unit starts making good output at about 800 rpm engine speed and above. (if you require a lot of power, but also want good output at idle, there are power programmers available to increase the idle speed of the vehicle to 800 rpm if necessary) All three S series units are pretty much indestructible, even in hot climates. All the S series units feature our twin heavy duty internal rectifiers, oversize charge post, billet aluminum overdrive pulley, cutting edge 6 phase hairpin stator technology, and 12 massive diodes. 6 phase technology allows for outstanding low RPM output, in a moderately sized housing that bolts right in to the stock location. All S series units are made in the USA and come with a 2 year warranty.

It shit out twice on me, that's why I'm upset. I'm

Not calling mechman out. I just don't get how it's the car when the harness plug is not being used

But I will try to contact mechman again. They said they would call back a few times and never did. I have my stock alt, the plug inside is bad.

Just frustrated guys. No beef with mechman

People are saying it's the car because the alt does work, just when the engine is spinning faster. Think about it. When it's colder out, there's less stress on all of the parts from heat. So naturally they run a little smoother, idle a little lower. Same way voltage works, everybody has amazing voltage during the colder half of the year compared to summer haha

It's just the fact that your engine, like mine, has a lower rotation per minute speed than that of other vehicles. The alt works from this rotation to deliver current. Not enough spinning, no current will be put out

FYI 90% of newer engines will high idle till they are warm. And he said he can drive for a few minutes THEN the alt turns on. Unless he idles around for 5min in drive..

Cold vehicles run rough till they are warmed up.. Not sure why you think they run smooth.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

It shit out twice on me, that's why I'm upset. I'm

Not calling mechman out. I just don't get how it's the car when the harness plug is not being used

But I will try to contact mechman again. They said they would call back a few times and never did. I have my stock alt, the plug inside is bad.

Just frustrated guys. No beef with mechman

People are saying it's the car because the alt does work, just when the engine is spinning faster. Think about it. When it's colder out, there's less stress on all of the parts from heat. So naturally they run a little smoother, idle a little lower. Same way voltage works, everybody has amazing voltage during the colder half of the year compared to summer haha

It's just the fact that your engine, like mine, has a lower rotation per minute speed than that of other vehicles. The alt works from this rotation to deliver current. Not enough spinning, no current will be put out

FYI 90% of newer engines will high idle till they are warm. And he said he can drive for a few minutes THEN the alt turns on. Unless he idles around for 5min in drive..

Cold vehicles run rough till they are warmed up.. Not sure why you think they run smooth.

You're right now that I think about it. Sorry guys, don't know why I was thinking of it backwards earlier...

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

You should change the title of this thread since it's not mechman's fault.

Did you not have the option for the 370, it has good low idle rpm specs 370 amp 6 phase Elite series

300 rpm turn on speed

200 amps @ 500 rpm

250 amps @ 800 rpm

370 amps @ 1800 rpm

Twin rectifier plates

12 press fit high amp diodes

$749

truthsayer

Check this thread out: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/176300-03-chevy-cav-22l-eco/

Posted it when I was asking around for experience before I actually went ahead with purchasing it. That's DC Power Kyle's low idling vehicle with one of their alts on, you can see that the alt is putting out at very low RPMs. Best bet may be to just go ahead and talk civilly with Mechman, asking if there's any way you can just return it since it does not work with your application.

How does it not work for his application? He made no mention of it not charging at idle, just that it takes a while to bring his batteries up from 11.8 volts when it is extremely cold out. That to me sounds like belt slip until the belt warms up, or possibly a cold blooded internal voltage regulator problem. (rare, but can happen)

In either case, we have honored our warranty to a T, and will continue to do so. Starting a thread like this serves no other purpose than to bash us, despite the fact that we have done all we can to help. If you want your alternator to be tested and fixed under warranty, (if there is even anything wrong with it) just give us a call for an RGA number and send it in.

Just FYI, we will not be giving you a refund on it, as outlined in our published return policy. If you want to go buy a DC power unit, go right ahead, but I am 99% sure that is won't be very different from ours. They use the same internal voltage regulators we do...

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Did you not have the option for the 370, it has good low idle rpm specs 370 amp 6 phase Elite series

300 rpm turn on speed

200 amps @ 500 rpm

250 amps @ 800 rpm

370 amps @ 1800 rpm

Twin rectifier plates

12 press fit high amp diodes

$749

First off, I have this exact alt (Mechman 370 Elite 6 phase) and it has performed flawless for me. Period. Does 252 at idle..... Highly recommend Mechman and will buy from them again in the future.

On a side note, since this thread was created I am curious as to the results per if the alt is sent in and tested to see if there is in fact anything wrong with it or if it is just the Ecotech and/or weather and/or belt slip issues. etc.

Tuned in if we can get an update as to whether anything was wrong or not.

OP: please get some form of battery tender if you don't already and plug it in over night, every night. (every night not needed but just do it, lol)

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

The ecotecs do funny things too and turn off at times thats why I said look into the issues with ecotrcs and high output alts. Its a shitty engine for an alt

well the ecotec engines dont like the HO alternators..even if you put a more powerfull alternator the engine wont ˝do work˝ with the alt till the engine is warm..

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

The belt is pretty damn tight, it's fine. I don't hear slipping. Also got a smaller belt with this alt. I talked to mechman over the phone and got it all worked out. Gonna send it out and they said about putting a 12v turn on in the alternator or something to make the alt work constant? Didn't make sense to me. They will also check anything else.

And gally. Is that true with ecotecs?