gckless Posted March 19, 2014 Report Posted March 19, 2014 Almost guaranteed you didn't blow them from distortion, but from running them in full range. Put a crossover on them at atleast double Fs (that's the rule of thumb, many people don't pay attention to that and are fine. It's a frequency vs. power seesaw) and run them on rated or below power and you should be ok with most music. All of the high passes and power ratings in the world will not save it form a clipped signal. Oh I agree. But most people aren't clipping to the point of blowing a supertweeter on a regular basis. Well, not most on this board anyway. Or maybe I should simply say I hope not.... Anyway, what I'm getting at is the clipped signal is probably a lesser issue than running a supertweeter in full range. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
Amart88 Posted March 19, 2014 Report Posted March 19, 2014 Almost guaranteed you didn't blow them from distortion, but from running them in full range. Put a crossover on them at atleast double Fs (that's the rule of thumb, many people don't pay attention to that and are fine. It's a frequency vs. power seesaw) and run them on rated or below power and you should be ok with most music. All of the high passes and power ratings in the world will not save it form a clipped signal. Oh I agree. But most people aren't clipping to the point of blowing a supertweeter on a regular basis. Well, not most on this board anyway. Or maybe I should simply say I hope not.... Anyway, what I'm getting at is the clipped signal is probably a lesser issue than running a supertweeter in full range. You are correct. Full signal to a tweet is bad news always. Clipping is right up next to it. My 2005 s10 blazer build. 4 zcon 18's walled.
SnowDrifter Posted March 19, 2014 Report Posted March 19, 2014 I have some ft-1s. Not SQ by any means, but they get loud and sound good enough to use them daily without any fatigue Quickie video. Only the supertweets are hooked up, those other tweeters you see are there because I didn't get around to removing them yet ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
Soccerballzs Posted March 19, 2014 Report Posted March 19, 2014 Hey you can still blow tweets with crossover. Wire a 1.5 amp fuse to positive wire before crossover. Set gains with DD1. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/I Pioneer P99RSAmpere 38002-Ampere 125/44-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer 2-5.25 Satori Mids2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars2-Hertz Silk tweeters DC Audio Level 5/12 Skyhigh Wire Mechman 320 XS Power D3100MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/
alaskanzx5 Posted March 19, 2014 Report Posted March 19, 2014 I have a pair of the punch pro tweets and love them. Loud as hell and much better then the stock speakers for sure. Giving them around 45 rms if I remember right they are crossed over at 5k. They do have a built in crossover to though. Think its at 4.5k. I'm using the 80 prs so I have decent control of my crossover points. After a lot if messing with the settings on the hu I can get some real nice sound out of them. Not sq but IMO great sound for such a loud tweet. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Kevin M Posted March 21, 2014 Report Posted March 21, 2014 You could look at companies like fostex, B&C, and Ciare. They all make some higher end tweets within your budget. Here are some links. http://www.usspeaker.com/SUPERTWEETERS-1.htm http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/super-tweeters/ 2005 Ford Focus zx4 AMT's and Planars 18" Infinite baffle
White Lightning Posted March 21, 2014 Report Posted March 21, 2014 My advice would be not to use super tweeters ... If you need to get "that" loud, go with HLCD Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado "The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually" Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet) Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch
White Lightning Posted March 21, 2014 Report Posted March 21, 2014 I have some ft-1s. Not SQ by any means, but they get loud and sound good enough to use them daily without any fatigue Quickie video. Only the supertweets are hooked up, those other tweeters you see are there because I didn't get around to removing them yet Wish I could get a full demo on this ... Sounds really good. May change my opinions on some things. What do you have them crossed over ??? Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado "The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually" Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet) Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.