Jump to content

How did you guys get into car audio?


Recommended Posts

Posted

I've always wanted my music louder. Don't really care what other people think and don't want their attention but nothing was ever loud enough so I put in some subs. 3 mtx 10s. Then blew the door speakers a handful of times.

Finally realized I wanted it loud and full and that's why I always turned it up louder to try to hear more. Now I devote way more to front stage and that keeps me pretty happy.

Posted

Well I started with my home stereo. As a kid I didn't give a fuck about ohms law or watts and ended up burning up some nice stereos. My brother is about 5 years older than me so when he was installing car stuff I was right there with him. It took me years to understand that you just can hook up anything ( mixed impedance, subs, etc...) into your car and that the gain isnt a volume knob. Hell I didn't even know about subs needing boxes built to specs for a while. Now here I am building a new box every couple months and switching my system constantly ( Hopefully my new build in a few months will be the last for this car).

2010 Kia Forte Koup (Slow Build)
2 Sundown SCV-3000D

2 DC XL M1 with PSI recones
Focal R-165s2 on Orion 4800-HP
Kenwood KDC-X798
Knukonceptz OFC 1/0
Audiotechnix,Fatmat and Q-mat Deadener

XS power D3400 up front 3 D3100s power in trunk
Stock 110 amp alt

2013 Scion TC

2 Dc lvl 3s with xl coils on Soundqubed 2200

Sundown components

AA 50.2 for components

Pioneer FH-X700BT

Knukonceptz OFC 1/0

Fatmat and Q-mat Deadener

XS Power D3100 up front D925 in back

Mechman 240 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/189911-2013-scion-tc-build/ <Scion TC Build
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174094-jskiles-forte-koup/ <Slow Kia Forte Build
http://www.stevemead...ockUserAgent__1 < Old build 2005 Equinox

Posted

It took me years to understand that you just can hook up anything ( mixed impedance, subs, etc...) into your car and that the gain isnt a volume knob. Hell I didn't even know about subs needing boxes built to specs for a while.

All this sounds familiar. I made so many Newb mistakes with my first system, I'm still amazed I didn't burn my car to the ground or pop a speaker every week. I console myself with the fact that I know better now, and had no one to show me the way back then.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

 

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Posted

It all started when I got my first car. '97 Ford Escort that some of you might remember. It didnt come with a radio, so my mom took me to Best Buy to pick one out. I knew nothing about radios yet. Just picked the one I visually liked most. A Pioneer something-or-other. Came with a set of 6.5's as a package deal. Had them install the radio but left the stock speakers in. That was Christmas '08. To this day, never have used them. Played them stock speakers like I had no sense because, f**k it, I had an extra set of speakers to put in if need be. October '09 rolls around and mom kicks me out, so I moved in with my grandparents. As I'm getting settled into was used to be my uncle's old room, I discover a BNIB Sony Xplod setup-in-a-box. Headunit, 6.5s, 6x9s, remote, AUX cable, and hat. I jumped on that like a bunny in heat cause hey, Sony made Playstation, so why shouldnt their car audio be good. Had my dad help me install the headunit. Found out he paid for his instead of doing it himself, so that was a team effort on that one. Month or so down the road, get grandpa to help me install the 6.5s in the doors. Used butt connecters I do believe. Then came the 6x9s. Found out I'd obliterated one of the stock spiders on the rear deck speakers. Also found out that my stock rear speakers were NOT 6x9s. So we jerryrigged the speaker into the space from underneath by making spacers with a bunch of washers (the stock hole had an over hang that would have pressed into the surround if it was flush). Stayed that way until I took a dremel to the rear deck to fit them from the top. Rocked them like that from awhile until I discovered a pre-built box (still didnt know anything about aui other than "that looks loud, let's do that") and I asked my uncle if I could have that as well and I installed it into my truck with primary wire and wirenuts spliced off of the rear speakers (YAY SAFETY). Rocked that into I got out on my own and I met a guy with a Kicker 12 and a Rockford Fosgate 12 run off a Kicker amp. First car audio bro I'd ever had. Plenty of car friends, no audio guys. Couple days later, he tells me he thought he fried the Rockford and let me have it. Rockford Fosgate P2. I'd have to guess it was a 4 ohm SVC. Never did find out. Now I had this massive speaker that I knew nothing about. But hey, it was free. That's when I discovered car audio as a "thing". Found meade and the rest is history.

1999 GMC Suburban SLT
No system planned just yet.

Look at "hate" spelled backwards. It spells "e-tah." For example, if you hate me you can e-tah dick.
Posted

I've been an audiophile all of my life. When I was a new born all my folks could do to keep my from crying was to strap those big ass old school headphones to my little head and hook it up to the record player. Yes.... I said record player lol. Music has always been apart of my life.

Posted

When I was young one of my acquaintances had 2 10's in a shitty sealed box with the grill over them and at that time it sounded awesome... Then about 18 months later I met my buddy Jhmeg2 and the real audio addiction started. He had 4 xtant 10's in his del sol when I met him and then he decided to buy a Trailblazer . Funny thing is he took measurements at dealership started building amp rack and box for 8 mtx 5510's before ever having the truck in his posession

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

 

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

 

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Posted

Probably around 5th grade my dad had an older blazer with 2 big ass tower speakers in the back. Would drive me to soccer practice blaring lil Jon! Felt so bad ass not going to lie. Lol. Ever since then, music just couldn't seem to get loud enough

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Posted

My friend got a kicker comp 12 on 300 watts. I heard it and kind of liked it

Then I went from that, to getting my first 150db demo. 4 15s on an M4a. WAKE UP CALL. That's when I fell in love

Posted

Kid in my neighborhood had two P315's on a 1200 watt RF amp and I sat in it one day. I never had heard anything louder in my life. Thats when I started buying speakers and got addicted. Never looked back since.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 510 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...