Sundown Audio

It's 2014, why do new amps still clip / distort?

33hz

I have a dmm. Thats all. A friend has the other tools Yes I know to use a tone. But how many people do that arent on forums? The average joe? Thats where a limiter would help. Not the guys that know what they are doing. Yes I still set be ear and feel if the cap gets warm back it off. I dont use it as volume. It worked just fine for me. This SQ rebuild it will be set right using proper tools. But like I said its beneficial to the average consumer. They want to be louder and dont understand gains so they crank it up. The limiter would help prevent damage if someone could figure out how to implement it and integrate it into the output side of the amp.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

Tony D. it's coming out with a home audio amplifier worth a lamp it LED that has a sensor that detects how clipped the signal is and makes the LED brighter next to a sensor to tell how bright the LED is and lowers the gain appropriately.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Should read.

"Its 2014, why cant PEOPLE set their gear up correctly?"

^^This x97468463864834

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

I have a dmm. Thats all. A friend has the other tools Yes I know to use a tone. But how many people do that arent on forums? The average joe? Thats where a limiter would help. Not the guys that know what they are doing. Yes I still set be ear and feel if the cap gets warm back it off. I dont use it as volume. It worked just fine for me. This SQ rebuild it will be set right using proper tools. But like I said its beneficial to the average consumer. They want to be louder and dont understand gains so they crank it up. The limiter would help prevent damage if someone could figure out how to implement it and integrate it into the output side of the amp.

this is exactly my point. every time i have to explain to someone that their 400w amp isn't blowing subs because its such a powerful amp but because they're clipping the piss out of it and frying the coil i wonder, why not just put a limiter on these things for all the average people. heck my old sony walkman in the 90's had feature on it called Automatic Volume Leveling System (AVLS) where you could crank the "MegaBass" and at low volumes it would have tons of bass but then the bass would start to roll off at a certain point as the volume would increase. AND THAT WAS LIKE 1995!

Basshead not audiophile

• 8 months later...

You guys are missing an item here, car audio manufactures build equipment to make sales. Do you really think they care enough about the consumer to come up with a feature that reduces the amount of failures due to bad installation and people that dont know better? I think not. Even though an amplifier is dumb there are still ways to help failsafe the system but I just dont see that happening anytime soon.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

Why do manufacturers need to idiot proof thigs?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Doesn't matter what kind of tech they come up with to auto set the levels if the music itself is clipped.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived