Getting Metered on the 10th, am I expecting too much?

I wouldn't trust a local shop that tells you JL Audio is what you must own. I've seen shady shops like this adjust the K factor on their TL to make equipment they don't sell to seem quieter than the JL that they sell. A buddy of mine went to a shop back in Ohio with two Orion HCCA woofers circa 2001 that were beasts BTW.

We had just finished the box with the two 15s on brand new recones from a company called robot underground. This was in 2008 so it wasn't the newest version of the TL that as used. Box was 7 cubes with 2 6" aero's tuned to 35hz. It was powered by a pair of Kicker 1500.1's with each amp at 2 ohms. Car was a 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse. By my estimate it should have done around a 152 or so sealed on the dash.

So any way we pull up into the shop garage to test. The owner of the shop talking the whole time that my buddy needed to switch to a pair of 13w7's. First burp on the meter was a sweep at 3/4 volume and saw a 148.8 @ 42hz. The owner said is that it? This Acura RSX over here is louder than that with 2 13w7'e and 2 1000/1's.

We told him no wait a second and got the car set up with a 42hz tone and rolled the volume up on his Alpine 9831. The setup put up a 153.4 and the owner of the shop about shit himself.

He then proceeded to put the meter in the RSX and burp it. The daily box was tuned to something like 42hz and burped at like 56 or 58 hz something like that. The first burp the car did a 149.1 and h said something must not be right. One of his workers came over and got on the laptop for a second and did what I thought he was doing (adjusting the K factor)

The next burp he hit it and I he RSX did a 155.7 and the shop owner said they burped at the wrong frequency the first time even though it was the same peak on the TL screen. I told him I guarantee thatth Eclipse was louder and asked him if I could reburp the car. He said sure but he doubted it was louder.

I took the sensor out of the RSX and put it on the dash of my buddies car. The shop worker tried to grab the laptop and said he needed to do something. I told him no it was fine and wouldn't let him take it. We set it up again and burped the Eclipse and this time the car did a 158.6 and the shop owner said we were cheating some how. He said no way was the Orion frankenwoofer louder than the 13w7's, but little die he know his employee was playing him trying to make him look better by adjusting the K factor.

I ended up telling the owner what the guy had done and proved it to him and I don't know if he confronted his worker or not about it. Point is local shops can be shady to push their products and may not always give you the correct or fair chance at testing your "swap meet" equipment.

Just thought I would share my personal experience with a dishonest local shop. Just be careful my friend.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Oh wow, definitely didn't expect to come home to all these replies already! Thanks everyone.

First off, yes a custom box is definitely in order. Working out my available space (with an older basshead that has built a few boxes) that I must have left in my trunk to grab the spare tire if ever the situation arises. I want to get metered first to get a baseline as mentioned and see what a few tweaks here and there and a new box will improve it, both on the meter and daily listening. Robert, I do believe that they use Termlab but not 100%, guess I will see when the time comes. Nightshade, thanks for sharing that story, glad to hear that you informed the shop owner of his employees actions :P

I will update this with a number likely immediately after I get home. I won't get my hopes up yet just so I'm not crushed if the number is subpar

My friend has a wall with 4 15s on a 5k at .5 and it feels like it's in the 51-52 range, did a 48.8 outlaw on music before he upgraded his electrical and did a lot of box strengthening. I'm sure it meters higher now but it was a big surprise for me seeing that low of a number lol

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Alright I got metered today. I am disappointed though. Not because the number was low but because I don't believe the number. They don't use a term lab at the shop I went to, they use something called Audio Control SPL Meter which has an external SPL mic or something to the effect of that. Here is the picture with the printed number :157.2 dB.

a439qr.jpg

I honestly can't believe it. It blew my numbers that I had in my head out of the water. I feel like it is way too high for what I am running and especially with a PREFAB of all things.

Any input on this?

That ain't right dude. The old audio controls can be made to show really high numbers.

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Alright I got metered today. I am disappointed though. Not because the number was low but because I don't believe the number. They don't use a term lab at the shop I went to, they use something called Audio Control SPL Meter which has an external SPL mic or something to the effect of that. Here is the picture with the printed number :157.2 dB.

a439qr.jpg

I honestly can't believe it. It blew my numbers that I had in my head out of the water. I feel like it is way too high for what I am running and especially with a PREFAB of all things.

Any input on this?

No shit man! Thats an awesome score! Ill wait for more experienced guys feed back on that scanner.

defienetly not right. if you chose the right frequency and burped it i bet a low 140 at a high frequency if that. high 130 most likely. if its on music definelty 130s.

that number isnt right. if it was you might as well be the new trunk king

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Archived