Getting Metered on the 10th, am I expecting too much?

Hi everyone,

Let me first start off by saying that I always liked having a nice car audio system since I began driving but it wasn't until this last December that I graduated college that I had available funds to really start a decent audio build.

I put together a decent (in my eyes) entry to mid level system together as far as woofers go, my mids/high part is still lacking severely. I have an audio shop in my town that I am going to on the 10th to get metered for the first time. As I have read many times on here, a meter can put a smile on your face or destroy your ego about your system. I know there is no way to tell what my subs will be producing before this time but I figured you guys could give me a baseline.

Here is what I am working with: 2000 Maxima

-Stock 90A Alt

-Big Three Done in 0AWG

-0 AWG Sky High Cable from Battery to secondary XS D3400.

-SKAR T2000.1D with gain set using DD-1 (about 1/4 turn below clipping for now), no bass boost turned up

-Two 10 inch Audioque HDC3'S in vented prefab box (looking into getting a custom vented enclosure soon, just need to find a place to build me one, also up for grabs on what to get it tuned to)

Pioneer AVH-2300, no loudness on, bass level at +3 of +6 maximum, 31 of 40 volume no clipping

Sound deadening in trunk and on roof partially using FatMat (not a fan anymore)

My local soundshop and I have never really seen eye to on on stuff. They are JL die hards and believe anything else is junk. We have argued many times and when I mentioned that I wanted to get a metering done, they laughed and said there is no point if I have two tens. Should I be expecting to get humiliated when I go in? I told them I would be happy to just be around a 125 =/- as a baseline to improve from (which is when they mentioned the tens comment). I have a feeling they are just making comments like that to see if they can talking me into buying some stuff from them, such as the time they stated I should buy a JL 500 or 1000 amp from them because that would push my system much better than my SKAR amp does because thats not really a true RMS brand of amps among true audio enthusiasts. Does anyone here believe I could hit the 125 area with my two HDC3's or am I just too noob in my audio thought process for my own good?

Good luck on the term lab !!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Prefab is what is gonna kill you. And Skar isn't bad, it just isn't Sundown, DC or CT sounds. I think what got people hating on skar is the fact that many of their subs look just like rebadged Sundowns. Your store is dumb if they think a JL 500 will do better than a skar 2000. Get metered and be prepared for disappointment and be happy when you arent disappointed. Then build yourself a nice box, mess with placement and tell those A-holes you don't care what they think, as long as you're happy with it, screw them. My local shop is all JL and DD nuthuggers and told me that Sundown was garbage. I just laughed and walked away.

How about you just don't go back to that shop! I've seen single 8 do 147db. It all depends on what your trying to accomplish. You wanna build burp box or nice ground pounding box?

Who cares what the single 8 has done.

OP, it isnt going to be as high as you think, that is just how people are. When you have never seen a meter, you think it is loud, therefore really high on the meter. But the meter is a dream crusher. I wouldnt expect more than a high 130 to low 140. That prefab will kill you musically or on the meter. Regardless make that priority to get a custom box that is built right.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived