Sundown Audio

How reliable is setting gain with a multimeter?

csermonet47

Without KNOWING where the head unit distorts, all other methods done are inaccurate and false. It starts at the head unit, you determine max, undistorted volume that CAN be used. You then MATCH the preout voltage with the gain pot on the amp. A Multimeter does not allow you to gain this first, very crucial step. Without this step, everything else done past that is worthless.

You are merely guessing with where you're thinking the HU clips/distorts, nothing more. The same goes for your gain setting on the amp with your tones.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I have more system than I need, don't like it cranked up too loud as I value my hearing over a loud system. Seems those I've done installs for were in a similar boat. I can't fault someone for wanting to get the most from their system regardless, though that seems to be more than I and those I've installed for find we need/want for daily listening.

I rarely do installs for young kids, as around here, many of them are seeking high SPL with cheap equipment and I just have no desire to mess with either. I do installs on the side, as I'm surer others on here do from time to time. I don't work for a car audio shop, not that I wouldn't want to, but because I feel that if i did, the passion I have for such would degrade. Once a hobby becomes a job, the fun goes down. Well, at least for me,

And I'm not saying the accuracy will go down, but that more accurate equipment could well be made in the future, who knows.

Keep up the back pedal. Anyone who still thinks that the use of the ear o meter over any proven and calibrated tool is a hack. It doesn't have to be a DD-1. It can be an oscope too. Hell even a cheap DSO Nano for all I care. Tuning by ear has claimed more equipment failures than any other method bar none. Use the proper tool for the job just one time and you'll see just how much better it really is. If the piece of mind it gives you from actually knowing that you aren't risking equipment isnt enough to warrant the cost of said products then I don't know what is. I spent years guessing then I bought a scope. I realized I was way off alot of times and even my conservative settings were higher than they should have been. I've done hundreds of installs and still didn't have that finely tuned ear. Well thats because its impossible to have. It truly is sad that someone who actually does installs for others refuses to believe there are better ways to tune and set gains than by ear.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

as already said the dd-1 and 0-scope are the way to go with gains. Some people in here saying otherwise really don't seem to know what they are talking about.

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

I think it personal for this guy. Saying people are sucking dicks and such.

I like my dd1, will it protect my speakers if I hook up a 20w speaker to a 100 watt amp?

Not really, but if I was doing that there are bigger issues with my install and the dd1 would not be to blame.

At least I would melt coils with clean power rather than dirty power.

For the moment, all I have is the ear/DMM method. And it is definitely leaving something to be desired. For the equipment I have, I expect it to sound better. I have enough sense to not play it loud enough though to get dirty power or distort, as I don't want to fry the equipment I do have. A DD1 is definitely on the wish list, hopefully I can find someone close enough to borrow one or rent.

Question, say you set your gains with your HU at 80% power, without knowing that your HU can play up to 95% without distorting, what would setting the gains at 80 do versus setting them at 95?

Archived