Infinitely variable ohm load. Is box rise obsolete?

Through ohms law, you would get higher voltage and current on the output side, and an exponential increase in current on the input side, but voltage would remain the same

Impossible. You cannot raise voltage AND current without more power.

Are you trying to say you would have to have a greater input voltage on the input to achieve what SnowDrifter is talking about? The only thing that is holding the output of the amp back is the impedance rise from the subwoofer box, if you diminish that you will have more output from the amp without needing an excess of voltage. The power is already there, you just need to unlock it.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

Through ohms law, you would get higher voltage and current on the output side, and an exponential increase in current on the input side, but voltage would remain the same

Exactly!!! That's what I'm saying. Raise voltage and in turn, current on the output side. That would then increase draw on the input side at an exponential rate. Same voltage, more current IS more power. I'm not saying you create power from scratch. I'm saying you create an environment in which the amp can put out the post power it can by compensating for box rise

Exactly!!! That's what I'm saying. Raise voltage and in turn, current on the output side. That would then increase draw on the input side at an exponential rate. Same voltage, more current IS more power. I'm not saying you create power from scratch. I'm saying you create an environment in which the amp can put out the post power it can by compensating for box rise

Put your flame suit on, ignore the doubters, and test the theory. Just be careful, high voltage/current aint' no joke.

The funny part is, if this works, everybody will be jumping at it saying it was an awesome idea and what a genius you are. If it blows up, everyone will line up to tell you how stupid you were for trying it in the first place.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Just throwing it out there..... I got a lot of hate for doing caps before they took off. Now they are the new fad hahaha

Who knows... Maybe I'll find something new. Maybe I won't. Either way it's fun to toy with

Interesting. not sure if or how it will work but i will be looking forward to finding out.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

So you mean instead of just wiring down coils to a lower impedance to rise up to your desired level you add more inefficiency into the system to match impedance?

A transformer will not just pick a magic number and set your amp to "see" that impedance. It will load the input coil with some fraction or multiple of the load on the output coil (depending on number of turns per side). So while you could theoretically halve the impedance your amps sees with a transformer you'll lose 3-8% efficiency through losses unless you have some sort of superconductor or super-magnetic material AND your amp will still see below safe impedance when the impedance of the loudspeaker drops.

Furthermore you have the even greater risk that if you open a coil or a speaker wire becomes disconnected, the input coil will not be loaded and your amp will then see a dead short.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is a terrible idea BEFORE you try it.

You're going to have losses through a variac. By that I mean flux losses and whatnot since there is no such thing is a 100% efficient transformer. And really efficient ones are expensive. I would venture to guess that it would work, but might be more trouble than it's worth.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

The load the speaker shows the amp is the load the speaker shows the amp. No amount of manipulation of the power going to it will change the load. What you're trying to do is downstream of that.

That's what I'm saying based on my knowledge, but I'm no EE and I never considered this before.

The load the speaker shows the amp is the load the speaker shows the amp. No amount of manipulation of the power going to it will change the load. What you're trying to do is downstream of that.

That's what I'm saying based on my knowledge, but I'm no EE and I never considered this before.

I guess we'll have to see ;)

What is downstream in an AC circuit?

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived