Before you read, please keep an open mind. I am super hesitant to post this because of the internet mob mentality and people are just going to flame me for this but I am not a believer in the DD1.

I have had the DD1 for over a year and every single time I use it to set the gains on either a high's amp or a sub amp it still leaves me with a distorted signal. The unit SAYS it isn't clipping, but then you hook the subs back up and turn it up to the 'maximum undistorted signal' and you can still smell the coils.

This isn't user error. The unit is stupid easy to use and that's one of the reasons I wanted to like it so much.

Here is how I use it.

1. plug rca's from head unit directly into dd1 and play track 1, turn up until clipping, then back down a notch and record number.

2. play track 2 and turn up until clipping, then back down a notch and record number.

3. average 2 numbers to get max undistorted head unit volume.

next

(for highs)

4. connect red terminal to speaker plus output of amp and black alligator clip to amp ground.

5. play track 4 and turn head unit volume to max undistorted output and turn gain up until clipping, then back down a notch.

6. connect speakers and you should be able to play them at max undistorted volume without clipping.

Things to consider...

a. I do all this with vehicle running.

b. All of the music I listen to comes from google play music. It is music that google has stored on their servers and not music I have uploaded to a cloud account.

c. yes, when setting the gains i set all crossovers to full and open the frequencies wide up. I turn off bass boosts and things of that sort.

Even after following every step, it still manages to fuck up speakers. I just got done 'tuning' my buddies install that we've been working on and we unded up frying 3 of the super tweeters and the subs smelled like they were cooking. I couldn't even get the volume to be within 5 notches of where the dd1 claimed it could be undistorted. The mids sounded all distorted, the super tweeters blew, and the subs started smelling, all within a minute or two of testing.

I'm honestly better off setting gains by ear. Can anyone see anything wrong with the way I'm using it or what? I want to like it but at the moment I don't believe it works.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Replace the 9v battery, my DD-1 gets screwy(tells distortion with 0 gain) when the battery is low, replace with a fresh battery, no more issues.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Replace the 9v battery, my DD-1 gets screwy(tells distortion with 0 gain) when the battery is low, replace with a fresh battery, no more issues.

You know, I think this may be worth a shot. It is the same battery I've had in it since the beginning. This is something worth trying.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Also curious what tone you're using, -5 vs -10. Some prefer to set with the 0db tone for safety's sake.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Turn volume nob down some! lol I seen vids i think of Steve setting gains from amp. Hook DD1 to amp(Highs,Lows, sub) which every your adjusting. Have amp gain all the way down. Turn HU up unit distortion is detected then turn down(And record if need) then set gains on amp to match until distortion is detected. Move on to the next amp that needs set.

You can do this same process if your using a adjustable lock, Line driver ect. It all end up at the amp anyway so if gains are down on anthing in between you can start with the HU, then line driver and finally amp without every unhooking the DD-1.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you get it figured out. Sweet ass tool. Maybe most set ups are to easy with no distortion from HU these days.

What is your setup? If u have say a 500 watt sub hooked up to a 3000 watt amp. Yep it's gonna get smelly. It sets the amp to max clean output.. but if your amp is too powerful, your going to have to lower your gain.

Plus the music played from say goggle, or somewhere else might be recorded clipped.