Second Skin Audio

15" or 18"

Go-N-Def

I have the same question but I am running an AQ 750.1 and I am considering running a single FI Q sub. should I go 15" or 18"? I dont plan on upgrading in this vehicle in the future and i want to keep the build fairly minimal so like three batteries no upgraded alternator ( for now ). I also want to keep it sounding as clean as possible. I dont doubt the 18" to perform any less than the 15" but on 750ish watts is it worth it to buy the larger 18"?

I didnt mean to jack the thread but my question is the same just less power.

The only answer it seems you'll get around here is cone area is always king.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I have the same question but I am running an AQ 750.1 and I am considering running a single FI Q sub. should I go 15" or 18"? I dont plan on upgrading in this vehicle in the future and i want to keep the build fairly minimal so like three batteries no upgraded alternator ( for now ). I also want to keep it sounding as clean as possible. I dont doubt the 18" to perform any less than the 15" but on 750ish watts is it worth it to buy the larger 18"?

Yes it is worth it.

And don't worry about running that amp on the Fi Q, it will work great if you set it up properly.(take the power into consideration when working out the enclosure)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

here it goes.. the 18 has more cone area which most people have already said.you will have a bit of gain due to cone area. there is a big but here. getting a 15 gives you the option to add another and doubling the power which will end up being louder than a single 18. if you only have the room for 1 18 you have no option to add another sub and power. sp4 are top dogs and finding a sub that takes more power will be hard..maybe the SMD v.2 . the only option you will have is selling it and buying 2 15' or better sub. i would go with the 15 for the simple fact that it gives room for upgrades

I had a 15" DC xl and was happy with it. The only reason I'm moving on is because I fried it.(Being silly) So I'm using this opportunity to upgrade even though I was good with what I had. Adding on is very unlikely but, upgrading very likely. I don't see myself getting to the point where I need to start increasing the electrical too much besides an Xs and 1 alt.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

I have a question that's kind of similar sorry to jump on your thread as well. I'm trying to decide between dual 12, 15, or 18. I get that it gets louder with a bigger cone but is it still louder when you start to sacrifice port area, box volume and sub/port direction to make it fit. (In a trailblazer) Example; I can fit dual 12 in the recommended box volume and the recommended port area subs up port rear.

But the dual 15 in a recommended minimum box volume and a slight decrease in recommended port area subs up port rear.

And the dual 18 in a recommended minimum box volume and a slight decrease in port area subs up port up.

Given these three scenarios is the bigger cone still better?

I wouldn't run any Fi Q sub off of that amp. Not enough power..that sub is rated for 1500wrms!

Ran one 4 years in my wife's car on 800 watts. Sounded incredible. Awesome sub.

I also use them as HT subs with 500 watt plate amps. Work great!

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived