Discussion - Cutting trucks and blow throughs

Ok, back to blow through setups ...

Well, what I'm looking for in my truck's build ...

A good bedcover and accordion boot.

A good weather sealer and bed liner material.

There's more, just drawing a blank at the moment

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

cabs are a PITA to weld on too most of the time. In my F250 I was thinking about it but since it has so many bumps and curves (mostly for strength from the factory) stamped in the back, me and a welder friend of mine decided it wasn't worth it. He had a really nice Miller mig that can be setup for really thin material but you have to go really slow and do 1" at a time, let it cool and do the other side to prevent warping. Theres ways to do it right you just have to take the time. Also the accordion boot seemed like a pain too. The cab and the bed move enough where we felt like you would need something around it to not hurt the port/box. But I didn't build the blow through so I would weight my post a lot lower then these other guys who have done it.

This is totally my opinion but I hated my center console box. Take that with a grain of salt, it wasn't ported and probably not the best config. But I would do an underseat setup or behind the seat.

Also depending on if you have a bench or 60-40-60 in the back you could do a decent sized box if you converted the back to two captains. I contemplated that when I was going to redesign my box.

They use a type of epoxy for the cab corners so im sure if you do a blow through they can use it on the bed and rear of the cab and get it repainted if you decide to get rid of it later

Yes that was what I had in mind when I said it. I just can't think of the name of it.

cabs are a PITA to weld on too most of the time. In my F250 I was thinking about it but since it has so many bumps and curves (mostly for strength from the factory) stamped in the back, me and a welder friend of mine decided it wasn't worth it. He had a really nice Miller mig that can be setup for really thin material but you have to go really slow and do 1" at a time, let it cool and do the other side to prevent warping. Theres ways to do it right you just have to take the time. Also the accordion boot seemed like a pain too. The cab and the bed move enough where we felt like you would need something around it to not hurt the port/box. But I didn't build the blow through so I would weight my post a lot lower then these other guys who have done it.

This is totally my opinion but I hated my center console box. Take that with a grain of salt, it wasn't ported and probably not the best config. But I would do an under-seat setup or behind the seat.

Also depending on if you have a bench or 60-40-60 in the back you could do a decent sized box if you converted the back to two captains. I contemplated that when I was going to redesign my box.

Thank you for your input it's appreciated. Actually it's going to go in a 2006 F250, and unfortunately, unless I build a new seat as an enclosure, there is absolutely zero room under that seat. As it was I was contemplating gutting it for an amp rack. I may still do that. But I have other ideas now.

I thought about a center console enclosure as well, and I will most likely do one anyway, because I'll want one for my mid bass up front.

I can't really go to captains chairs, although it would be really cool to do, because then I could just do a center console build from front to back, but I need the space. My girls are getting older, and there are going to be times where we go somewhere and we'll need all that room. We went to the mountains recently with my sister in law and took the truck, and we rode and fit quite nicely. So the 60/40 split seat in the back is going to have to stay I think.

I'm not 100% committed to the blow through yet, I just wanted to hear from some folks in case I do get that committed. You all are helping me greatly. Thanks for all of your input.

Oh I forgot, last night I was going to ask this and I got distracted.

How many of you that have done blow throughs, have cleared in front of the port. For instance, along the lines of what aculous said, removing the bench seat and putting in captains chairs? Did you notice a big difference in sound when you did that?

How many of you notice a sound difference when you fold your bench seats down from in front of the port? Do the guys with Crew cabs, or extra cabs, roll around with that rear seat down like a car guy would in a trunk build? Or do you just say eff it and let it be what it is?

Thanks!

In my single cab ranger, It gets noticeably louder if I lean forward and pull the bench seat forward ( and for anyone wondering, no I don't drive around leaning forward and pull the seat forward lol) I'm looking for a pair of bucket seats to put in there and expect that to make a pretty big difference.

Keep in mind you don't have to do a full blow through either. I've seen a lot of fourth orders done where the blow through is no more than the width of the port. I've seen it done many others as well

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived