Jump to content

Looking for a new headunit. Does preout voltage matter? Suggestions?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey guys,

So my current headunit is crapping on me and failing to recognize when I plug my phone in or a usb flashdrive. It randomly pauses and won't unpause and sometimes it just won't work until I turn my truck off and restart it.

My current HU (Alpine ute 42bt) only has two sets of preouts @ 2v. I'm running my 4 channel off the "front" with y-splitters and my sub amp off the "rear/sub" preout. Currently I'm looking at other Alpines because I have gotten used to the system and how everything works, I am however open to other brands. I have a DD1 to do all the gain setting ect...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main thing I am looking for is a headunit with 3 pairs of preouts, to get rid of those Y-Splitters. Looking to stay withint $150 - $300

I am considering the Alpine CDE - 153BT but it has 2v preouts and I'm not really sure if I should be aiming for 4v. I also found the Alpine CDE-147BT which has 4v preouts and 3 pairs of them but for some reason the USB is on the back, which is something I find odd...

Thanks guys, I live in Canada so things are more pricey here!

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

Posted

I like USB's on the back. Then you just run the cable that comes with head unit to a spot like in my escalade I had it in my glove box cuz I had a double din and in my Denali I had it the cubby below the single din CD player and just drilled a hole and it was hidden til I pulled it out to plug in iPod or my iPhone.

Edit: I'd run 4 volt as well

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

Posted

preout voltage isn't that important unless you have a LOT of amps or compete and push things to the absolute max of a piece of equipment's capabilities, be it SPL or SQ.

 

F150:

Stock :(

 

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

 

Posted

Higher preout voltage can mean less distortion as well.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted

I usually suggest higher the voltage the better (aim for 4 to 8 volt if possible)

I like USB's on the back. Then you just run the cable that comes with head unit to a spot like in my escalade I had it in my glove box cuz I had a double din and in my Denali I had it the cubby below the single din CD player and just drilled a hole and it was hidden til I pulled it out to plug in iPod or my iPhone.

Edit: I'd run 4 volt as well

preout voltage isn't that important unless you have a LOT of amps or compete and push things to the absolute max of a piece of equipment's capabilities, be it SPL or SQ.

Higher preout voltage can mean less distortion as well.

Went out and got my hands on a Kenwood KDC-X898. It has all the features I wanted plus a shit ton more. I'm excited to get it put in and start fiddling around with all these fancy settings. Gotta re-do my amps as this one has 4v preouts while my old HU had 2v preouts.
Should be fun...

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

Posted

Don't go less than 4v on your pre outs.

Distortion can get really bad with lower voltage H/U's.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Posted

i want the people who are saying 2volt preouts cause more distortion to explain why they think that. because from my knowledge, a 2v signal can be just as clean as a 4 volt signal.

a stronger rca signal can help to reduce noise in the system. other than that, it really doesnt matter. a signal is a signal, as long as the amps inputs are rated for that voltage youll be fine

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Posted

The H/U is not the cause of the distortion but rather driving the amps gain higher can get it into the range of distortion much quicker.

There wouldn't be a problem for the higher quality equipment and old school gear, but with today's lower quality of gear it can become a problem.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1171 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...