Sonic Electronix

Myth or Fact? Some Vehicles are bad for SPL?

The reason I created this topic is to see if there is a belief that there are some vehicles that are just plain bad for SPL. This is something I am personally dealing with in my current vehicle a 2011 Jeep Liberty. I will start with a quick rundown of what is relevant to the SPL in the Jeep. Full roof deadened with Alpha Damp, DEH-80PRS h/u, Singer 320A HO alt, (2) XS Power S3400s, 1 run of Skyhigh OFC oversized 1/0, Sundown SCV-4000D and (2) Sundown ZV3 12’s recently reconed to achieve a .5 ohm resting impedance. I have been trying multiple enclosures of different port directions, different volume sizes and nothing seems to work. The jeep just seems to sit right around a 144-145db SPL, while this is decent it is significantly lower than my previous car a 2009 Honda Fit with nearly the same equipment which was doing a solid 148.6 – 148.7 consistently. I have talked with several people whom are close to me and have known me for a very long time who think it’s simply I haven’t found the ONE best way to aim the subs/port to get the results I want. Which ideally would be a 150, but I would be satisfied with being where I was before in the 148s.

Differences between the Fit and the Liberty.

Fit – smaller cabin, (3)XS D5100 batteries, factory alternator, ZV3s were stock D1’s resting at .7ohm.

Jeep – Larger cabin, (2) XS S3400s, 320A HO Alt, ZV3s reconed to rest at .5ohm.

I am running out of options to build and fire ports/subs in the jeep and not gaining much ground to where I want to be. The closest I have got is just after the recone to rest at .5 ohm, in the same enclosure jumped from a consistent 144.4 to a 145.3 so I did gain .9 from reconing in the current enclosure. All the enclosures are built around the specs of the ZV3 series the current one is the same enclosure that was in my Fit last the same enclosure that did consistently 148s. I have tried subs up port back 3.86cuft tuned to 35Hz (6” aero port) , subs up port up 4cuft slot port tuned to 32Hz, subs up port back 3.46cuft slot port tuned to 35hz. All of these have yielded roughly the same score floating around 144.4.

My last option that I have yet to try is subs/port all firing back. But I am reluctant to because I really do not want the rear door to become a rattling mess. But I am really getting discouraged, to the point of just wanting to either leave it as is or just to rip it all out and do something like 4 SA 12s ported. I have found next to NO examples of Liberty’s or even Dodge Nitros with something close to real SPL in them.

So ARE there some vehicles that are just plain BAD for SPL?

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

Fact. Ask the full size ford guys how much trouble they have getting as loud as the Chevy guys. Crxes get loud fact. It is what it is

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Oh I know CRXs get loud I had one, just hard to believe a simple square SUV can't get louder than a 145 on a 4k.

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

Fact. Ask the full size ford guys how much trouble they have getting as loud as the Chevy guys. Crxes get loud fact. It is what it is

I agree and disagree with this. I have a ext cab silverado. And the only way to get it "loud" is a wall or blowthrpugh. Anything less forget it

A single sa12 and a single zv318 did the same number almost sealed up at the headrest.

So but up and wall it

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Just wall everything and you'll be fine

ST-728x901.jpg

Showtime Electronics

Authorized Dealer For Many Popular Brands Including XS Power, Kicker, McLaren, Beyma, Ampere Audio, DC Audio and more!

Site: www.showtimeelectronics.com

eBay: www.stestore.net

Amazon: www.amazon.com/shops/showtimeelectronics

Email Us : [email protected]

Acoustics.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

8th gen civic sedans are a bitch to get loud out of the trunk. I believe scooter had an issue and friend locally is struggling to get a 41.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived