Revving your engine for demos question.

So i know quite a few of us do it, i mean at higher engine RPM you get a higher amperage output from your alternator, so trying to keep the engine around 1500 rpm while parked, can make a serious difference. But my question is this, is it better on the engine (or is there even a difference) if you were to have it in neutral vs park? Here's where my question originates from, im not a guru on how an engine works or anything but i have some general knowledge, and i seem to remember when i was younger and learning to drive, i was told its not good to rev your engine while stopped, if the car is in park, something about the gears having some hold on them or something i dont really know, i just know i remember learning that and have believed it my whole life (before i got big into car audio and ever saw revving for that reason). But now that i see people everywhere revving while parked, i wonder how many are doing it while in park the whole time, or if any are in neutral with the e-brake on or something, and what effects it could have potentially?

sorry for the long post just wanted to make sure i could convey my question properly.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Neutral and park have essentially the same affect on drive gears: they're all disconnected. Wit autos, being in park engages the parking pawl, which is what people unfortunately use instead of the parking brake, that keeps the car from rolling away. In neutral, the drive gears are disengaged, and the parking pawl is not engaged, meaning the car can roll freely if the e-brake is not engaged.

Revving in park and revving in neutral are essentially the same.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.

auto - park

manual - out of gear, ebrake up

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Neutral vs park doesn't matter. Either way there's no pressure engaging the clutch packs. The only difference is whether or not the parking pawl is locked

cool guys thanks for the knowledge!

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

I rev the fuck out of mine during demos, I've held 3-4k for a demo before.

What Alt requires 3-4k rpm ?

Most Alts should be at peak 1600-2200rpm

No difference, I run in park with the e-brake pulled..... It's so hard on the parking pawl to just put the car in park.

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

Archived