Would this be considered as a good ground ?

I would go for a thicker piece of metal. I always aim for frame or strut tower depending on vehicle. You will also want more metal to metal contact. Those lugs arent ideal and I definitely wouldnt stack them.

how should i go about rectifying this ? best options ?

personally I like one of these welded to a good spot

SSLUG40_325w.jpg

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/installation-accessories/set-screw-terminals/sp/set-screw-40-gauge-ring-terminal-ground-lug/

You can weld aluminum to steel?

no but you can weld the tin coating

:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

That tin coating micron thin..heat alone from welding would burn it off.if then you could weld the two together.more like make a melting pot mess hopefully it puddles together.then during cool down process the aluminum will cool faster leaving probably to crack or pop off.

• 2 weeks later...

Care to explain why?

It's what I've always seen said to do doesn't mean it's right but Im interested to know why it's not.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

The answer is in that video. You have to:

- Measure voltage drop with a DMM between the charging system negative (-) and the proposed location under load (say your amps draw 500A continuously, then you need a 500A carbon pile load to simulate this) You would connect the carbon pile load across the main power lead AND to the proposed grounding location

- Measure current during the voltage drop test

- Compute the actual resistance via Ohm's Law - Vdrop / Current = Actual Resistance

For example. Let's say you develop a 1V drop Between the seat bolt and the case of the alternator when applying a 500A load across the amp power lead and proposed location with the vehicle running. The math is as follows:

1V / 500A = .002 Ohms

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

if you're able to supply the 500A, and voltage doesn't drop any lower than 13, I don't see why it wouldn't be a good ground. If you used it for your equipment instead of the carbon pile load, and the equipment has no issues staying powered, and no decrease in operating power given its drawing a constant 500A, then it's a good ground.

Just my opinion.

0.002ohm is equivalent to a 2awg wire without heat from what i understand, so for 500a that's not good enough.

Also with 1V drop from just ground path alone that's a big drop.

I remember seeing a vid some time ago, brobably the one you mentioned. Didn't watch it now but found the text and in that test it equaled a litte more than a 14' 1/0 ofc wire.

So down to about 0.0012ohm in that car I think? Almost halve and would make quite a difference. But not even that wont support a 500a load in a good way.

That's how I see it

Archived