Sundown Audio

Where is 4 volts on hifonics amp?

akuma4u

How did this thread turn into this?

thats what happens when have a couple of wise asses participating in something they clearly find annoying but still want to continue to reply for no reason other than to troll.

correction. this is what happens when the OP doesn't want to take the advice given and implement that into real world practice. instead of doing something about his "problem" he continues to sit in front of his computer and make topic after topic asking the same questions and expecting different answers. until you go out and actually get a meter/o-scope/dd-1 nothing you say about setting amp gains or bass level on your HU can be taken seriously because we know you don't have the equipment to take the proper measurements and set everything proper. at this point if you don't want to spend the money on having someone set your equipment, or purchasing a meter/o-scope/dd-1, then go out and set it by ear and hope for the best. just don't come back here asking why your equipment failed.

are you challenged or what? ive said NUMEROUS times i know what to do meaning i know i have to get it scoped.. ive said this at least 3 times yet you still think in your mind that i dont want to take the advice? troll harder kid.

yet you still havent done anything about it. get off your ass and locate a o-scope and get that shit done

p.s. thanks for proving my point

LOL oh so now you are my personal manager or something? how the fuck do you know what i have or havent done? how many times do i have to repeat myself I KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO DO. there is no need for your to keep trolling. this thread was over a while ago.

P.S your nagging is worse than my GFs

7aeda7ed3a5b561ef3d06c44e17768d1.jpg

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

There is no way to turn a dial and assume that it is see for x number of volts.

Here is why:

Your radio puts out 4 volts, but is that at max volume 5 clicks below max volume, or 8 clicks below max volume.

Where does yours sub woofer volume have to be? will it distort if its all the way up?

What about your radio volume, will that distort when turned all the way up?
There is no way to know unless you test it.
Just because a radio says 4volts, doesn't mean it is 4volts. It may put out 4.5 or 4.75 volts, it may be 3.75volts these numbers get rounded up and down by companies all the time.
Again without testing it you may never know..

Now lets talk about the rca cables.

Are the rca cables low impedance, or are they of a higher impedance?
If they have a lot of resistance in them then it will cause you too have a higher gain setting compared to a set of cables with a very low impedance.

So again turning the gain knob to what you think is 4 volts judging by the numbers printed on the amp claiming too be 0.2volts to 9volts.
Not to mention all the parts of a radio, and even amplifiers are going to have a margin of error or a different tolerance.
So say your buddy has the same car, radio, amp, subs as you and he set his with a dd-1 while you go and eyeball your radio and amps settings to be 100% identical to his.
The result from listening to his and then yours could bee so different in terms of loudness or even clarity and this would be a direct result in the tolerance of parts used.

Its not uncommon for an amp of the same make and model to have 2 completely different rms output wattage's when tested on a dyno, even if they are pulled right off the assembly line and one was built right after thee other!!

So without even thee basic of tools your really pissing in the wind, and might as well just "tune by ear" like the shops by you do because there is no correct answer.

About 122.7 degrees from the home position assuming the potentiometer is linear

Or you could do 12.3 degrees left of straight up and down which in your terminology is about 11:59:35 am not pm

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Hey i got a hifonics x1500 amp

i need to get it to 4volts to match my pioneer head unit

the amps sensitivity ranges from 9v to 0.2v

where is 4 volts going to be? some days i have it around 12 oclock , some days i push it to 1 or past 1, and sometimes i have it at 10 or 11.. i cant figure out where 4 v is and i dont have a voltmeter or anything to test..

so anyone with a hifonics amp pls let me know.. thanks

also on my pioneer double din avh x4600bt, the sub level goes from -24 to +6

is it ok to leave it at +6? or should it be set to 0?

i find when its at 0 the gain has to be turned up quite a bit or a lot of bass boost has to be introduced in order for the subs to thump proper..

I'm late but I'll threw in my 0.02 cents. This thread really went down the toilet in a hurry. Aside from being a wise ass, or sarcastic these guys are really here to help you. And they did! Trust me I've argued with these guys before, but they really are helping you.

You're asking a question that is difficult to answer. Take this lesson I learned after using a SMD CC-1 and the potentiometer you want to "turn".

When I was tuning a Crossfire amp, and my gf's daughter's bass amp, I originally set the frequency cut off to the middle since the range given is 50Hz (at 7 o'clock) all the way up to 250Hz (5 oclock). Thinking that the half way point would yield 250-50=200/2=100hz. Turns out, when I chose 90 Hz cut off, the cut off was actually landing at about 9 oclock! There was a slight variance from amp to amp, and the setting was hard to hit. We're talking fraction of a mm to get the blue light to stay on. Anyhow, this meant my originally setting was adding a sh!t load of unnecessary noise muddying up the bass!

I'm so impressed with the CC-1, I'm going to get a SMD DD-1 so I can really tune my stereo. (Actually I want my gf to buy it for Xmas since, sh!t, I did buy her daughter a truck and all!)

Further more, even if some one can tell you where to turn the knob to blindly attempt to match your head unit, how do you know the location is legit? And are they using the same head unit? Did they verify if with a test tone? It never ceases to amaze me that "we" (yes we) enter something blindly, are given direct......direction, and yet "we" say "Thanks, but I just need the answer to my question.There's got to be a ball park setting."

You inadvertently opened yourself up to the banter. Don't feel bad, we all were there once. We all learn as we go.

Here is a link. Get a freaking multimeter and do it right. When you can get the good stuff, than you're really see what you have been missing.

-Frank

^^^that method in the video is nothing to really go off of. Its a flawed way to do something, but other wise I agree with what you said.

It does not tell you when your headunit is distorting, so you could start out right away clipping the signal too the amp..
Not all headunits are distortion free at max volume like the video claims.. That is why JL says to use 3/4 volume, however at 3/4 volume you could be loosing valuable rca output voltage if your radio is distorrtion free at max volume or even at a higher volume than 3/4 but still not all the way up.

What happens if your still using your radios on board amplifier for your interior speakers, that on board amp will distort a lot sooner then the preoouts do, so you set your gain using JLs 3/4 volume or mtxs full volume and not everything else is clip city..

Also most amps that are rated for lets say 3000watts rms dont do 3000watts rms, it may do 3500 wattsrms, so setting the amp to 3000 watts rms means your loosing out on 500watts rms of power.

Maybe your amplifier is highly over rated, it says 3000 watts rms bbut the amp has 150amps of fusing, but you set it for 3000watts rms anyways not knowing better and your clipping the living shit out of your amp and subs.

Point is, there are so many variables to use a multimeter to set a gain when you cant see the output wave of the amplifier with your eyes or see a red light come on saying that it is distorting.

Also, have you tried these tricks?

1. If you have to turn up your bass boost to +6, your mids/highs might be set TOO HIGH. Yes, that is one thing I am just learning at this stage of the game. I can kick myself. I always set the mids/highs first, than tried to make the subs "catch up". That's how I've always done it. Since messing more with time alignment/eq's and what they can do, I suggest you turn your mids/highs DOWN. This way the bass has more "presence" and be more "full". Once you turn it down, slowly turn it back up to level out both the bass and mids/highs in unison. With time alignment, if you add milliseconds delay to the front, you're effectively making the front stage move away from you, and not so much "in your face". The end result is the bass appearing to be up front with the front stage- sorta like adding a 3rd sub to your 2 sub set up. It's an aural illusion. Turning down the mids/highs may give you that- sort of- because it's probably "in your face".

2. Again, don't turn up your gains, only to fine tune it back down with the parametric eq either. Start down, and work your way upwards. You're parametric eq is your friend. Learn your wide and narrow Q settings. This will greatly improve your bass response. You don't always have to go wide. You can narrow it down for the specific note you are trying to hit. I'm having fun with my 20 band eq.

3. Hopefully you're setting your rear speakers to 1/2 the output using the fader of the radio right? This will also stop drowning out the bass.

If you haven't done these steps, than "You're way off Bass"......which is what this thread is about......bass.

Once you try these steps, you will have to be realistic with the end result. You may lose volume by a click or two, but you will gain a lot more sound which is the true reward.

-Frank

Hey i got a hifonics x1500 amp

i need to get it to 4volts to match my pioneer head unit

the amps sensitivity ranges from 9v to 0.2v

where is 4 volts going to be? some days i have it around 12 oclock , some days i push it to 1 or past 1, and sometimes i have it at 10 or 11.. i cant figure out where 4 v is and i dont have a voltmeter or anything to test..

so anyone with a hifonics amp pls let me know.. thanks

also on my pioneer double din avh x4600bt, the sub level goes from -24 to +6

is it ok to leave it at +6? or should it be set to 0?

i find when its at 0 the gain has to be turned up quite a bit or a lot of bass boost has to be introduced in order for the subs to thump proper..

I'm late but I'll threw in my 0.02 cents. This thread really went down the toilet in a hurry. Aside from being a wise ass, or sarcastic these guys are really here to help you. And they did! Trust me I've argued with these guys before, but they really are helping you.

You're asking a question that is difficult to answer. Take this lesson I learned after using a SMD CC-1 and the potentiometer you want to "turn".

When I was tuning a Crossfire amp, and my gf's daughter's bass amp, I originally set the frequency cut off to the middle since the range given is 50Hz (at 7 o'clock) all the way up to 250Hz (5 oclock). Thinking that the half way point would yield 250-50=200/2=100hz. Turns out, when I chose 90 Hz cut off, the cut off was actually landing at about 9 oclock! There was a slight variance from amp to amp, and the setting was hard to hit. We're talking fraction of a mm to get the blue light to stay on. Anyhow, this meant my originally setting was adding a sh!t load of unnecessary noise muddying up the bass!

I'm so impressed with the CC-1, I'm going to get a SMD DD-1 so I can really tune my stereo. (Actually I want my gf to buy it for Xmas since, sh!t, I did buy her daughter a truck and all!)

Further more, even if some one can tell you where to turn the knob to blindly attempt to match your head unit, how do you know the location is legit? And are they using the same head unit? Did they verify if with a test tone? It never ceases to amaze me that "we" (yes we) enter something blindly, are given direct......direction, and yet "we" say "Thanks, but I just need the answer to my question.There's got to be a ball park setting."

You inadvertently opened yourself up to the banter. Don't feel bad, we all were there once. We all learn as we go.

Here is a link. Get a freaking multimeter and do it right. When you can get the good stuff, than you're really see what you have been missing.

-Frank

Worst method ever of setting the gains, worse then setting the gain by eye..

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

^^^that method in the video is nothing to really go off of. Its a flawed way to do something, but other wise I agree with what you said.

Yes, it may be crude but it is pretty close. Here is another one of BigDwiz's videos showing how the 32V output of the amp matches the receiver. You're 100% right though, you can't tell whether it is clipping or not. Maybe stay at 31V-31.5V to be on the safe side?

-Frank

Archived