Not trying to thread jack, but I had an idea that's also related to enlistment/service and figured this would be an ok place to dump it for discussion.

With all the current political debate about our borders and immigration, what if our country enacted a policy for immigrants where you enlist and serve for a set amount of time, like 4 years, and at the end of it you're a full fledged citizen? This would offer immigrants some form of career training, depending on MOS, and a better opportunity to speak and read English. Plus it would show that an individual wants to naturalize/assimilate into our culture.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure they already have a program for this. I do not know if it is still going on or if it has changed, but when i was in 1997-2001 immigrants could serve 7 years and become full citizens. We had a SGT in my Infantry platoon that was from India and he was serving his time to get full citizenship and had a complete ceremony when his time was up. I was shocked to know that at the time (served with him for 2 years before i knew), but with today's immigration issues this seems to be a great chance to earn your citizenship and get great training (of course they would have to be screened extremely well).

last time our military trained Mexicans they became the Zetas lol

bottom line for me is... people who serve our country in the military and put there LIFE on the line for our freedom, should be either paid better, or taking car of better in some shape or form. other government positions like senator, or governor, have way more benefits,and pay, than the real soldiers who do all the dirty work.you can say they chose that life all you want too,but who's really reaping the benefits?

Do you think that should apply internally in the branches too? Does the infantry or combat arms equivalent and some office administration clerk deserve the same paycheck?

Those lines have blurred over the last 15 years. I know folks from every dicipline who were directly engaged on a fairly regular basis. It has to be all or none to get any support. This has been discussed at length among the who-haws and the problem would be how much revenue would be lost.

Once money has a home you can't make it leave...

Not trying to thread jack, but I had an idea that's also related to enlistment/service and figured this would be an ok place to dump it for discussion.

With all the current political debate about our borders and immigration, what if our country enacted a policy for immigrants where you enlist and serve for a set amount of time, like 4 years, and at the end of it you're a full fledged citizen? This would offer immigrants some form of career training, depending on MOS, and a better opportunity to speak and read English. Plus it would show that an individual wants to naturalize/assimilate into our culture.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure they already have a program for this. I do not know if it is still going on or if it has changed, but when i was in 1997-2001 immigrants could serve 7 years and become full citizens. We had a SGT in my Infantry platoon that was from India and he was serving his time to get full citizenship and had a complete ceremony when his time was up. I was shocked to know that at the time (served with him for 2 years before i knew), but with today's immigration issues this seems to be a great chance to earn your citizenship and get great training (of course they would have to be screened extremely well).
I enlisted in 97 and there were a bunch of people from all over the world doing the same. Great program that still goes on at varying levels based on strength needs. The 00L program is an example where linguists were brought in from everywhere to act as integral interpreters native to units with specific areas of operation.

bottom line for me is... people who serve our country in the military and put there LIFE on the line for our freedom, should be either paid better, or taking car of better in some shape or form. other government positions like senator, or governor, have way more benefits,and pay, than the real soldiers who do all the dirty work.you can say they chose that life all you want too,but who's really reaping the benefits?

Do you think that should apply internally in the branches too? Does the infantry or combat arms equivalent and some office administration clerk deserve the same paycheck?
Those lines have blurred over the last 15 years. I know folks from every dicipline who were directly engaged on a fairly regular basis. It has to be all or none to get any support. This has been discussed at length among the who-haws and the problem would be how much revenue would be lost.

Once money has a home you can't make it leave...

Overall I don't care about the fixed base pay as long as you earn it. Granted certain situations and/or statements will make me briefly struggle with that fact.

For example: Coming back to Camp Leatherneck after a rough 5 month operation and only making 2 calls home from the shittiest sat phone the Marine Corps had, my buddy and I woke up early to eat our first real breakfast in forever and use some computers. We waited 90 minutes to get in to use them for 30 minutes, about 10 minutes in we were cut off and the center shut down (River City). I think about the 2 comments I heard from the ray-ban wearing and manicured nails fobbits: "this is bullshit, nothing is happening here so why should we have to get off?" and (to their husband/boyfriend on Skype) "ugh, I guess someone else got hurt or whatever so I have to go" (the reply from said douche nozzle) "then tell them to stop screwing around and do their jobs right"

I wanted to have an out of body experience.

This got me thinking, as a Military Veteran, why don't we have a group/SMD icon for the military vets/active duty on here? We have one for gaming, and more.

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

There is already so much animosity between fobbits and troops in sector, don't know how to address that besides sending desk jockeys out on patrols. But then you endanger others' lives.

My biggest issue has been echoed by a few others, taxing taxes...

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

well, it is tax dollars paying military wages, why the hell do they tax it? seems stupid to me.

Well then you'd have to say anyone with a government job gets to avoid taxes if you looked at it like that.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

This got me thinking, as a Military Veteran, why don't we have a group/SMD icon for the military vets/active duty on here? We have one for gaming, and more.

i like that. it could be camo/color matched to our respective branches that we serve/have served in.

Archived