How bad is it grounding to a seat bolt?

So I'm getting ready to install my amp, which is going to be under my rear seats (2004 Tahoe), and i really don't want to drill holes to ground to the frame.

And i've done a lot of research on this and I don't know whether grounding to a seat bolt is bad or not.

SO many people claim that the seat bolt has worked amazing for them, while others say to NEVER do it.

Would it be fine for me to ground at the seat bolt if I scrape the paint off? or will I end up having problems down the road?

Most seat bolts are all the way threw the body it's a very good and clean ground , my amp and batteries are grounded off seat bolts .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

It really depends. Some seat bolts are only connected to the frame crudely while others are all the way. Varies from car to car

You'll need a dmm, check volatge and volatge drop compared to a better ground,

PS don't be fucking lazy do it right, you spend XXX$ amount on audio,hour or two more work worth it. Just syn

im not "lazy" i just really don't want to have to drill through my car

It's a small hole , or use a 3/8 bolt through the floor frame to bolt,bolt to amp tight well, ok so your not lazy

Don't be a pussy do it right , I had shit load holes through floor, it's no big deal,

Some of the smartest people in the 12v business say not to use it. I don't know why it's not a great place but I trust those people so I don't use them.

I think it has to do with some vehicles having bonded panels, so it is best to use the strut towers where you have multiple sheets of steel.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

It really does depend, get some extra wire and test with a DMM.

In my car the rear mounting bolts of the back seat are to body, same with the seat belt, but the front mounting bolts for the seat are straight into frame.

Take a wire from Batt(-) to multimeter (-), set on continuity or resistance, use multimeter (+) to touch spots you think could be a good ground.

Make sure to test the resistance of the leads plus the extra wire to see what the meter's lowest resistance is, then when testing spots to ground try to get as close to that number. Should be zero, but some leads have an inherent resistance to them if they're old/damaged/not that good.

Make sure the points on your leads are sharp as well if you're testing painted surfaces, you need to pierce through the paint to test the metal.

Archived