Jump to content

Too much bass locks up headunit


Recommended Posts

Posted

I just got a Kenwood kdc-x898. I have 4 18s in a wall. Certain songs when up loud will lock it up. Keeps playing music off ipod or usb, but no controls. Only thing i can do is release the faceplate.

Anyone had this problem?

Thanks

Posted

I haven't seen this happen but i have seen people glue their faceplate on, so I think it would be most likely that the faceplate is loosing connection.

try pushing on the faceplate near the connector while playing so that contact doesn't vibrate loose and see if you can get the controls to stop working

Posted

Maybe try to put some dielectric grease on the back of the face plate contacts

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Posted

Maybe try to put some dielectric grease on the back of the face plate contacts

That is a bad idea,

Dielectric grease is non conductive and would interfere with the connection.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted

if you are that loud, take the headunit out of the dash and hold it in your lap when demoing. i have seen it done a ton of times. That or use a zip tie around the whole headunit around the face plate. or get a different headunit

Posted

I had this happen a couple weeks ago. Turned the truck off and back on and it hasn't happened since. Not sure why or how to help ya but you're not the only one.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

Posted

I put a strip of foam behind my faceplate to keep constant pressure on it

Posted

Maybe try to put some dielectric grease on the back of the face plate contacts

That is a bad idea,

Dielectric grease is non conductive and would interfere with the connection.

It's neither good nor bad idea. It just won't help him here. The grease is nonconductive in that it won't cause a short circuit, but it won't interfere with your pin contact.

Posted

I haven't seen this happen but i have seen people glue their faceplate on, so I think it would be most likely that the faceplate is loosing connection.

try pushing on the faceplate near the connector while playing so that contact doesn't vibrate loose and see if you can get the controls to stop working

I would rather not glue it =] May try putting pressure on it to see if it helps. It didn't do it when I had it part way slid into the trim cage, but when I locked it in, that is when it started.

Maybe try to put some dielectric grease on the back of the face plate contacts

Thanks, but don't think that will help much.

if you are that loud, take the headunit out of the dash and hold it in your lap when demoing. i have seen it done a ton of times. That or use a zip tie around the whole headunit around the face plate. or get a different headunit

I was trying to avoid having it in my lap, of course maybe that will be the solution.

I had this happen a couple weeks ago. Turned the truck off and back on and it hasn't happened since. Not sure why or how to help ya but you're not the only one.

That is what I tried the first few times. I have certain songs that will make it do it every time. B Legit - Stick 'Em will do it every time without fail.

prs80 in my rig (i bought 2) did this a lot.....

annoying as fuck..... ... Buddy has a 130 alpine in the dash, and hes WAY more violent than me, and it just plays and plays.......

Zip tie the face plate, like cheezy does, or... get another unit...... :shrugs:

Yeah it is super annoying, especially if I see a cop and it has done it, I can turn my bass knob down, but it still sound like 2 strong 12s with the knob all the way down. And the 4 Sundown 8's in the doors are still pretty loud. Only option I have is to hit the release for the damn faceplate.

I put a strip of foam behind my faceplate to keep constant pressure on it

That is a good idea, may try that tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help.

--David

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1141 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...