Copper speaker wire darkening? what is the problem?

So about a month ago or a little over a month i installed 2 crescendo forte 18s to a synergy audio 2k amp. I have them wired to 1ohm for a little under 2k watts.

About 2 weeks later i had to rescrew my subs because my screwheads were to small to hold them in place and I noticed that the wire seems to not be as copper as it was before installation.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/FN1B0

I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal for copper wire or something is going wrong with it.

I cut a bit of a corner and stripped some wire strands from the 12gauge wire to make them fit into the terminals and I'm not sure if that is the reason why it is discoloring.

anyone able to give any info on my problem?

thanks.

If you're in Portland you might want to go the tinned wire route for that climate, No?

Because hummidity

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Cheap wire.

its sky high wire
I'm well aware of what it is,

I stand by my previous statement.

Apparently you missed the memo about people having issues with sky-high wire being corroded right off the reel.

I'll stick with good tinned ofc.

Like the sundown or ce auto electric stuff.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Cheap wire.

its sky high wire
I'm well aware of what it is,

I stand by my previous statement.

Apparently you missed the memo about people having issues with sky-high wire being corroded right off the reel.

I'll stick with good tinned ofc.

Like the sundown or ce auto electric stuff.

well my sky high 1/0 wire seems to be perfectly fine still so they got something right. and im not on this forum more than once maybe every few weeks so yes i did miss the memo, but will the wire be fine for now (how long will it be fine like this?), because i dont have much time to work on my system right now.

Also how come the wire was fine when i first installed it and now its just turning colors?

I have the black copper wire from Sky high, well it's mostly copper colored but some is black....

I stick with tinned OFC now.....don't care what it costs, need/want it!

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Sky high strikes again.

But apparently Im the only one that has problems with it, and its installer error....

Rip it out and use something legit before you blow something expensive to fix.
How long are the speaker wires you are using, and is it just 1 piece for both woofers, or 2 pieces (one for each sub)?

Either way Im sure it should be with in the amperage rating of cca wire.

My suspision is their cca is not cca and mixed with other materials besides aluminum to make the wire cheaper and at the same time reducing the manufacturing cost.

Just like the issue I had in my friends setup. Wire is 30ish inches and goes straight to the rear battery.

Its cca but such a small piece should have ZERO problems handling the current.

zPdLAN.jpg

MkzZaV.jpg

Archived