Local shop outrageous quote for custom fab?

Derek217

What did you ask for as far as fit and finish? The plastic door panels on your truck are a nightmare to match well. Easy to build something that looks nicer and easy to build something textured that doesn't come close, but not easy to match perfectly. Hopefully that was all mentioned as part of the quote and you were given a choice.

Shop I used to be install manager of started at $1200 for a pair of fiberglass door panels. We've done some that were as high as you were quoted. Lots of variables but 90% of what we did was factory match upholstered. If we couldn't get close to a match with aftermarket products and had to order OEM materials the price skyrocketed. Not really fair for anyone to call out a quote as too high without being part of the original conversation.

Static drops are my bag.

All shops have different overhead cost to pay for and cater to different types of customers.

There are your run of the mill shops that can do great work and then there are your high end custom shops that deal with the more money than brains customers and do insane crazy expensive work.

I've seen some doors that people payed a lot of money for that look like straight up shit, and some that were cheap that look amazing.

If they do top notch work $4,500 to do all four doors isn't really out of the Realm of reasonable pricing.

Hundreds of hours would go into four doors,

Paying a skilled craftsman for hundreds of hours of labor is gonna cost money.

Location plays into it too, if you're in an expensive neighborhood you're gonna pay more, that's just how it is.

$1,500 for a box is retarded though, I'm getting something over the top custom made for me by a very experienced builder for about 1/3 of that.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

That is a quote to discourage you from them having them do your doors, almost any time you get an outrageous quote like that it just means they don't want to do it, and if you happen to be fool enough to have them do it, it will hacked to death pissing you off like no other.

Just hit the boneyard up and get a set of used door skins and work on them yourself as you'll do no better or worse than that shop would have done, but it will give you some experience you didn't previously have before you started.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

How do we know how good the shop would or wouldn't do without seeing their work?

What's shop is it so we can look them up and see?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

That is a quote to discourage you from them having them do your doors, almost any time you get an outrageous quote like that it just means they don't want to do it, and if you happen to be fool enough to have them do it, it will hacked to death pissing you off like no other.

Was just going to say this.

After working in a shop you get these customers that come in week after week and say how much is this how much is that, cool Im going to buy this this and this next week when I get paid only to never buy it or buy it or buy it from said shop. Or they get people that come in and buy products from else where and think its that shops job to warranty said products or fix problems.

So the easy way to get you out of their hair is quote you some ridiculous number so you leave and never come back with said "I have a dream" systems.

Not saying either of these are the case, but its possible.

Then you also have high end shops that deal with high end gear, and luxury and exotic cars so they cater to a different customer than a guy driving a Geo Metro. While these prices maybe high for you, their customer base has no issues with the pricing.

I just asked for a quote for the 2 6.5 and 2 tweeter door panels for all 4 and they said $6k with the box. Later on found out they quoted me $1500 for the box so simple subtraction there ya go. I told them past a decent or normal look I was good with it. Starting saying we could etch and led and stuff for hiding my amps and I was like nah so hopefully he got the jist for the same on door panels. Didn't specify besides just door panels with those mids n highs since I didn't want fancy shit or anything crazy. I'm still working with them slightly so I'll wait until tomorrow for a more detailed quote before I let y'all know what shop. I'll say they didn't seem to have any proof of work that big. Seems to be knowledgeable but didn't see any proof or experience first hand.Their shop only sells like kicker, jl, pioneer, JVC, normal in town shop nothing crazy SPL stuff. Asking $400 for a pioneer AVH-X2800BS I found online new for $229. All the head units I seen were that big of gaps. Not sure if that's typical +% or a sign of all other products offered. What I noticed though. The picture you upload with $100 for the material door panels looks amazing...I'd consider trying something like that if it ran about that much

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Ground Pounder Build In Progress

Clarion NX706

Im big in getting people to figure it out on their own (Not as a dick move but to light the fire under your ass)

It always pays off to have something done the exact way you want it.

Even if you try with some junkyard door panels and get discouraged you still have that much more knowledge to use on the next set. Plus you know what to look for with someone else's work.

Between watching Steves, EXO's, Soundmans, Mark at CAF, and James Taylors videos youd be surprised on how much you can learn in a few hours.

Just let us know!

I found some on YouTube, looks do able. I'll see if me and some buddies can have a weekend project. Know where I can get the materials to look somewhat like the picture posted of the door panels for $100?

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Ground Pounder Build In Progress

Clarion NX706

Archived