Reasons for an easy install HU over a dash mounted tablet?

s5300

As the title states, I'd just appreciate some input from any of you guys.

For the longest time, I was going to just get an 80PRS. Great unit, easy to throw in with a wiring harness and have everything I need. ~$230ish, not bad at all.

However, for the same price or a bit less, I can put in a Nexus 7 or other tablet which opens up a shitload of possibilities. I'm really surprised I don't see many more builds utilizing them on here. Seeing as I have access to my own 3D printer, Stratasys 3D printers, and a fully loaded machine shop, I think I could make a pretty cool ass system. What I have in my mind is like those scissoring TV wall mounts, it would be inside the DIN slot , be able to kick back in all the way making the tablet flush, or come out and then have the ability to tilt the tablet at an angle towards the driver or passenger side.

If I'm being dumb, please tell me bluntly.

I don't think it's a dumb idea, and you appear to have a means of building it. the only problems I foresee are getting the design just right and applying it correctly. It may take a bit of trial and error.

Great idea, but it will require things not readily on the market and the amount of time to fabricate everything to make it work the way you envision it.

You can get a soundman kit and just have a flush mounted tablet that will do exactly what you want. It all comes down to the amount of time and money you want to throw at the problem.

http://www.soundmanca.com

Another thing you could do is to add "Dashcommand" to the tablet for some really cool features.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=62

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Just Ball out and do both lol. Thats what i wanted to do, but thats way over my head. I wanted to recess the headunit mount so i could have a ipad dash kit flush mounted In front of the headunit. And just cut out the headunit shape in the back peice of the ipad dashkit so the headunit is accessable without prying off the dashtrim peice. So i could utilize all my CDs and also have a cool ass ipad dash. That'd be sick.

Thats the route i went. used a tablet (LG) for a bit, and then just started using my phone. (samsung)

since all i listen to is spotify, pandora, or downloaded music, really didnt need an actual headunit. have one of those bluetooth reciever units tucked under my console.the only thing that drives me f$#king NUTS is that everytime I get in the truck, I have to turn on the bluetooth and amps, then swipe for settings for bluetooth to get it going. Kinda miss the "turn the truck on and the music is playing....."

Think they had an app for Icrap to turn on when the car was started, and turn off when its shut down. But no longer ipad guy, need to find another way

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

deck install, done. tablet install, will be very involved to be a complete install plus the time to make/fabricate what is needed to get the tablet mounted.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

The one downside i've noticed with having my iphone 6+ in a soundman kit as my source for the past year is the lack of other sources for playback options.

I didn't like commercials with terrestrial radio but i liked the bit of "localness" that it provided with news and content and i loved having the siriusxm with the itunes tagging on the alpine hu.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

The one downside i've noticed with having my iphone 6+ in a soundman kit as my source for the past year is the lack of other sources for playback options.

I didn't like commercials with terrestrial radio but i liked the bit of "localness" that it provided with news and content and i loved having the siriusxm with the itunes tagging on the alpine hu.

Would u be able to do my idea i mentioned? Single-din mounted behind the soundman dash kit. I assume u already have a DSP that ur iphone is running to? So you could switch sources from iphone to Alpine. I think thats what Dougs (soundman) done in his ford truck too. He added a deck for bluetooth i think. Mounted it behind his ipad pro dashkit.

Would u be able to do my idea i mentioned? Single-din mounted behind the soundman dash kit. I assume u already have a DSP that ur iphone is running to? So you could switch sources from iphone to Alpine. I think thats what Dougs (soundman) done in his ford truck too. He added a deck for bluetooth i think. Mounted it behind his ipad pro dashkit.

I could, but i would have to drop the istreamer i am using as a D/A converter (which i LOVE the sound i get out of it) Not sure if in doing that i would lose an appreciable amount of sound quality if i ran it via bluetooth to a head unit.

Playing mp3's (all 320 quality) it probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference in the sound i would get.

A ipad mini float mount kit with the back cutout for single DIN access behind it might be my best option to regain the couple of sources i'd like to get back and just run BT to the HU from an ipad or my iphone.

I don't have any type of sound processing between the iphone and the speakers right now, i do have an AudioControl EQS i'm planning on installing into the system early next year.

Not to interested in getting into a DSP setup until i get a vehicle with more intergrated systems that would make a aftermarket HU a PITA

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Archived