Second Skin Audio

Is there any reason this would not be a good sub for my application?

omnibus

4 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

The description  says the sub has a whole new louder level , I wander what that sounds like . Lol

It gives your HU another volume level. Also if you place the subs facing the rear and open your trunk, they move so much air that it'll give you better gas mileage..which is what I want them for.

http://IMG_0149_zpscdcjxgwd.png   I would still look into these. There would be no guessing you will be getting a good sub

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

15 hours ago, Ron36 said:

http://IMG_0149_zpscdcjxgwd.png   I would still look into these. There would be no guessing you will be getting a good sub

Keep in mind if I got 2 of those, they would only be fed 150 watts each for a sub that's going to want 500 watts each at least..in a sealed enclosure. that's why I wasn't looking at SD. I've ran higher rated subs on low watts before and they seem to be rather constrained in output. I figure a sub built for 100-150 watt will be more optimal when using a sealed enclosure. 

I know SD is much coveted brand here. But one thing I don't like about SD is the fact they are still in their experimental phase as a company. In other words, if you bought an SD v2 sub, there is now a better SD v3 sub not much long later...etc. Buy one of their subs and it's outdated so to speak simply because they have not yielded their optimum design yet. They are still experimenting, testing..etc. JL audio's brand for exmample hasn't had a need to do much in the way of updates to their subs because their all pretty much as optimized as a design as it can get. The W7 really hasn't changed much at all in what like over a decade aside from facelifts?

Brands like SD seem equivalent to a Beta not yet achieving their final version where a design for the price is as good as it can get. I appreciate their still working on their designs, that they are good quality subs but they are still in that experimental phases.

Surprised nobody has recommended the Fi Aplha Series. I would be looking at a single one of those, could probably squeeze by with a ported enclosure too.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

((Keep in mind if I got 2 of those, they would only be fed 150 watts each for a sub that's going to want 500 watts each at least..in a sealed enclosure. that's why I wasn't looking at SD. I've ran higher rated subs on low watts before and they seem to be rather constrained in output. I figure a sub built for 100-150 watt will be more optimal when using a sealed enclosure.))   your explanation uhh the pioneers you posted was 450 rms only 50 rms different... but if you believe this and don't plan on upgrading amps  then look into subs that are 150 to 200 rms... http://www.woofersetc.com/c-23-subwoofers/c-34-12-subwoofers/xed12-cerwin-vega-12-1000w-single-4-ohm-xed-series-subwoofer.html  http://www.woofersetc.com/c-23-subwoofers/c-34-12-subwoofers/p-7171-ctx124-image-dynamics-12-ctx-4-ohm-subwoofer.html  just 2 examples  ... if you get one sub can always get a 300-400 watt 12 or 15

12 hours ago, omnibus said:

Keep in mind if I got 2 of those, they would only be fed 150 watts each for a sub that's going to want 500 watts each at least..in a sealed enclosure. that's why I wasn't looking at SD. I've ran higher rated subs on low watts before and they seem to be rather constrained in output. I figure a sub built for 100-150 watt will be more optimal when using a sealed enclosure. 

I know SD is much coveted brand here. But one thing I don't like about SD is the fact they are still in their experimental phase as a company. In other words, if you bought an SD v2 sub, there is now a better SD v3 sub not much long later...etc. Buy one of their subs and it's outdated so to speak simply because they have not yielded their optimum design yet. They are still experimenting, testing..etc. JL audio's brand for exmample hasn't had a need to do much in the way of updates to their subs because their all pretty much as optimized as a design as it can get. The W7 really hasn't changed much at all in what like over a decade aside from facelifts?

Brands like SD seem equivalent to a Beta not yet achieving their final version where a design for the price is as good as it can get. I appreciate their still working on their designs, that they are good quality subs but they are still in that experimental phases.

I understand what you are saying about Sundown coming out with updated products frequently, but that isn't a good reason not to buy from them if they have something that will suit your needs well.  When picking a product all that matters is if Product A by brand X is better than Product B by brand Y.  The fact that brand X comes out with new stuff every year is irrelevant.  I'm not saying that a Sundown product is or is not the best for what you want to do, just that you shouldn't hold it against them that they actively develop their products. 

So if I understand your requirements correctly, you have 300 watts of amp power, around a $200 total sub budget, and space for two sealed 12"s.  One thing to think about is where two 12"s will fit you could also use one 15", as long as you don't have any dimensional limitations that would be a problem.  A single 15" could be advantageous since one higher quality 15" will generally cost less than two cheaper 12"s.  Also it has been my experience that all else being equal larger subs generally have higher QTS, making them more suitable for sealed use.  

Earlier I said you could do better for the money than the Pioneer subs you are looking at and here is why.  The sub you are looking at is pretty poorly suited for what you want to do. It has a really high EBP, which is going to make the low frequency output roll off at a much higher frequency than other subs would.  In addition it has a very low Xmax of 6.4 mm.  In its recommended size enclosure on 150 watts per sub its going to exceed Xmax at anything below about 50 Hz.  Its just not a good sealed box sub.  Also my experience with Pioneer subs has been mediocre at best so I'm wary of their subs in general.  

Alternative subs I would suggest that should work well for what you want to do are either a pair of Alpine SWS-12s or a single SWS-15.  Other good choices would be a single FI X-15 or Sundown SA-15.  Also a pair of JBL GTO1214s or single GTO1514 would work well too, however they are out of production and are getting hard to find. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Here is my two cents. Good sub, great company. Only a few bucks more than those Pioneers and the same power handling. Don't let the price fool you, these are some really sturdy subs. 

Product Specs: http://www.b2audio.com/el

Manual/Enclosure recommendation: http://www.b2audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/el_is_man.pdf

Price for a 12 (disregard the specs on this page as they are not updated): http://b2audiostore.net/collections/subwoofer/products/el-12-subwoofer

I would stay away from shallow mounts if you can. Save yourself some hassle and listen to Trit, hes the man, has helped me out a bunch of times and a wealth of knowledge. 

If price is no object a couple brands to check out. 

Blues Car Audio is SQ focused and good gear, TC Sounds, Dayton, Peerless, Fi, Ascendant Audio, DC, heard good things about Hertz, Image Dynamics...theres more. 

19 hours ago, DLHgn said:

Here is my two cents. Good sub, great company. Only a few bucks more than those Pioneers and the same power handling. Don't let the price fool you, these are some really sturdy subs. 

Product Specs: http://www.b2audio.com/el

Manual/Enclosure recommendation: http://www.b2audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/el_is_man.pdf

Price for a 12 (disregard the specs on this page as they are not updated): http://b2audiostore.net/collections/subwoofer/products/el-12-subwoofer

Yes that seems like a nice sub for the price. Not sure if 300 watts would push two of those very well though but I'll keep it mind thanks

20 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I understand what you are saying about Sundown coming out with updated products frequently, but that isn't a good reason not to buy from them if they have something that will suit your needs well.  When picking a product all that matters is if Product A by brand X is better than Product B by brand Y.  The fact that brand X comes out with new stuff every year is irrelevant.  I'm not saying that a Sundown product is or is not the best for what you want to do, just that you shouldn't hold it against them that they actively develop their products. 

So if I understand your requirements correctly, you have 300 watts of amp power, around a $200 total sub budget, and space for two sealed 12"s.  One thing to think about is where two 12"s will fit you could also use one 15", as long as you don't have any dimensional limitations that would be a problem.  A single 15" could be advantageous since one higher quality 15" will generally cost less than two cheaper 12"s.  Also it has been my experience that all else being equal larger subs generally have higher QTS, making them more suitable for sealed use.  

Earlier I said you could do better for the money than the Pioneer subs you are looking at and here is why.  The sub you are looking at is pretty poorly suited for what you want to do. It has a really high EBP, which is going to make the low frequency output roll off at a much higher frequency than other subs would.  In addition it has a very low Xmax of 6.4 mm.  In its recommended size enclosure on 150 watts per sub its going to exceed Xmax at anything below about 50 Hz.  Its just not a good sealed box sub.  Also my experience with Pioneer subs has been mediocre at best so I'm wary of their subs in general.  

Alternative subs I would suggest that should work well for what you want to do are either a pair of Alpine SWS-12s or a single SWS-15.  Other good choices would be a single FI X-15 or Sundown SA-15.  Also a pair of JBL GTO1214s or single GTO1514 would work well too, however they are out of production and are getting hard to find. 

Yes I've considered 15 inch as well. Just trying to optimize my 300 watt limitation...it's a stock Honda after alll and I never crank my music loud anyway. Depth might be an issue with my current plan, I'm basically raising the hatch floor with a box no deeper than 6 inches and the subs will face up, mounted from the inside baffle with a protective beams crossing them so I can just toss stuff on top of it effectively replacing the entire floor space and will be stealthy. Most any other typical box will be taking up a corner or chunk of my cargo space so figure this idea will better utilize my usable space. 

Though my disdain for SD didn't help considering I own 3 of their SD 2 subs back when I had a 1200 watt amp and they were pretty bad compared to other similar sealed subs I've had. Then they updated..and updated...yeah I can't trust them yet till they get all their design optimizations worked out. I never found it a good idea to buy new designs of stuff anyway until it's continuation in the market for a while.

Archived