Damaged wire repair

19 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

You need to rerun it thru the vehicle not under. It will happen again if u dont. Id do a whole new run.

3/5 static drop and before that, it was a 2 inch leveled 4wd. 2 years of LOTS of off road abuse. Have a single run of SkyHigh 2/0 under my truck with no issues. It's been through rocks, in creeks, buried to the frame in fields.

not a single issue. Running wire under the vehicle is a LOT easier and to an extent, safer. Think he would have noticed that the wire was damaged if it was under the carpet? Not until his car was on fire when it shorted out on the floorpan and caught the carpet on fire.

How we used to do wire repair when I was an electrician's apprentice, was cut the damaged section out, use straight through NIMBUS connectors to splice the cables back together. Coat the ends of the connectors with a VERY healthy application of dieletric grease, then heat shrink them. After we heat shrinked them, we used scotch water resistant electrical tape on the entire splice, 6 inches before to 6 inches after. 

Would I do this here? Maybe if it was a bitch to rerun the cable. Honestly probably cheaper to buy some 2/0 welding cable and some 3/4 or 7/8 PEX waterpipe to run it through, then strap it up with some 2 hole emt straps. That pex line is some strong shit, would take a lot of effort to rub through it.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

The damage never would have occured at all if his run was inside the vehicle.

Edit- i agree with the pex idea if he finds it necessary to run under the vehicle.

Was it caught on the suspension? Burned on the exhaust? Dragging the ground? I don't understand how it could have happened. It needs to be run a different way or it will happen again no matter what you do to fix it.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

2 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

Could you just add a fuse there at the break? Cut off the damage, connect ring terminals, and conect both ends to a fuseholder. That would be easier than ur adding more wire and using two fuse holders. But really u SHOULD replace the whole thing lol and maybe run the new wire higher so it doesnt happen again. 

Lol I know what I should do. But thats not happening. If it becomes a problem I will. But I've had it installed for probably a year and this is the only damage I've had. I'm thinking not even a fuse, just a coupler. Besides maybe a tad more resistance but should be fine. 

I would fuse it but I think the plastic fuse holder would be a huge risk of breaking 

I believe it was hit by a rock. I started working out of a new shop that's down bumpy dirt roads. It's funny because I noticed the wire because those roads broke the bolts holding the heat shield in and that was dragging on the ground. Maybe it's time I slow it down on them lol

http://IMG_0178_zps5i9fwf2a.png   U better be fused on both sides already u can use this but I would heat shrink it and put a rubber hose over it . All your outside cable should be ran through PCV tubing.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I'll get flak for this,but o well.

Cut the wire and put some lugs on it and bolt it together with some adhesive lined shrink wrap and then cover the entire run in wire loom, it is cheap insurance against another mishap.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived