Who all has tinnitus?

Not sure if there's ever been a thread like this, apologies if there has.

As the title states - who all here has some form of tinnitus and how do you think it came about? Just curious with the hobby and after seeing @SteveMeade in the DC Audio Port.

Personally, I've had it for as long as I can remember, honestly it doesn't bother me. I don't really know life without it and it's only really noticeable in the dead of night if I'm having trouble getting to sleep already. Definitely not caused by car audio as I wasn't exposed to that until I was ~14. Probably caused by long use of some classic style earbuds. Like, way too loud, 10+ hours a day. Though I also have static vision and  a more-than-average amount of eye-floaters, both things that also just seem like a normal to me. Many people(professionals) seem to think those three things are related. Planning on my first serious purchase being a plane ticket to Seattle for the newest reputable eye surgery whenever I come about the money though. The SMILE that is now out over LASIK seems to be pretty damn solid and it's only going to get better.

But yeah, just curious. 

I have a slight ringing of the ears when it's really quiet or if I think about it but I attribute that to my ear problems as a young child. It's not severe enough to cause me any issues for sure and I don't usually notice it unless it's super quiet. 

Had it since as long as I can remember. I'm sure loud stereos didn't help it but I had that before ever getting into the bass scene

I have it and only really notice it at night sometimes when everything is quiet. My right ear is worse because when I was about 10 years old, I went to throw a fire cracker and it blew up about a foot from my ear. I also work in a factory where hearing protection is required, but if I wear ear plugs all day I can feel my right ear getting stuffed up and onetime ended up with an ear infection because of it. I also have a chainsaw collection with over 20 various saws and almost half of them near or over 100cc. I thought about eye surgery but wearing glasses has saved me a few times from flying objects coming from power tools, weedeaters etc. My wife teaches 7th grade and says that the ear bud thing is a big problem with the kids these days too. I have also heard that loud bass is not hard on the ears because the ear is not as sensitive at those frequencies.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Hunting without earpro, metal concerts, and working with air tools has definitely taken it's toll on my hearing. When its quiet or i have earpro on , i can hear the ringing. When there is lots of background noise (like a crowded bar/restaurant) i have problems separating a person talking from the ambient noise. But when I'm out in the woods i hear animals and shit that no one else can pickup, its weird.

30 minutes ago, 3vil said:

Hunting without earpro, metal concerts, and working with air tools has definitely taken it's toll on my hearing. When its quiet or i have earpro on , i can hear the ringing. When there is lots of background noise (like a crowded bar/restaurant) i have problems separating a person talking from the ambient noise. But when I'm out in the woods i hear animals and shit that no one else can pickup, its weird.

Yeah, my hearing is still quite exceptional. I can completely tune out the ringing to hear the most ambient noises from my 600 ohm Beyerdynamics along with shit in real life. Peripheral vision is pretty amazing too. I really think the static makes you more aware to the slightest changes, as odd as that sounds. 

I used to paint coaches is a large production facility. Every year they had a mobile hearing test center come out and check us all out. It had a bunch of small testing bays that were sound proofed, where you'd wear head phones and press a button everytime you heard a test tone. It would play a tone several times, each one being quieter than the last, then it would raise the freq and repeat. I was getting scores that shit all over my other coworkers, but i had the problem that i couldn't sort out sounds when theres a ton of background noise.

Archived