Jump to content

Extending speaker wire with solder okay?


Joshdashef

Recommended Posts

Posted

Going to be moving my mids and high amp eventually but I may need to extend my speaker wire or re-run four pairs of wire. That is why I was wondering if I could just extend each run another 2-3 feet at most with solder connections at the end of where they reach now? Instead of re-run all four pairs.... 

Does this hurt the quality of sound output? anything I should worry about doing this? Wires 14 gauge if that matters powered off a P600x4 mids on two channels tweeters on two channels. Will be using the same wire to solder and extend if I go this route.

Posted

no real issue, may melt some of the jacket near the solder joint b/c the gauge of the wire. 

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Posted

Cca or ofc wire?

♦ Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

♦ MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

♦ SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue)  +  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

♦ Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  +  SHCA Pro RCA 

 

  • 2 months later...
Posted

Solder is the best electrical connection next to a solid straight run of uninterrupted wire.

 

As long as you don't get cold joints and that solder flows well, you will never know the difference

Posted
On 4/6/2019 at 8:15 AM, Dragonsyph said:

Cca or ofc wire?

Good question. Can't solder CCA!

Posted

rerun, dont fuck around with wires its very easy 2 get whine or some other problem from shitty wiring.

Posted

I would just braid the wire together very strong and heat shrink it , I stopped soldering wire years ago unless it’s on a circuit board . Had a class on this awhile back and braided and crimp joints hold better then solder. Solder isn’t flexible and can crack from vibration. Not to mention only about half the people that solder really know how to do it right , U don’t just put a drop of solder on a wire and call it soldered I’ve seen this a ton in car audio.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Posted

F02C05FC-9562-439F-923F-9585F437B4FF.png

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 962 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...