i just ordered a JBL GTO-501EZ i will test it out and see how it stacks up to the DD-1. I am curious to see if it is accurate. I might just have to kick it down to someone after i try it out :D

That would be a cool test there. See which clip light comes on first or if they come on at the same time.

So a comment/thought on the sub level for setting gains with the DD-1. My alpine 9887 is very clean. With the -5db tone its does not distort at full volume with sub level all the way up (the choices are 0 to 15). Measuring from the RCAs right before they go to the amp. I set gains at this level with the DD-1 because I measured with a DMM (still useful here) and saw that I was not getting full RCA voltage unless that sub level was cranked. With this setting the gain on my sundown is only about 1/4 of a turn up to reach full power. I then run daily at around sub level 4-6 depending on the song and then turn it up to 15 for full power.

I am not at all saying all decks are like this but it has worked well for me and I believe some systems will be more effective ran like this since you will be getting full voltage from your RCAs and allow your amps to work easier since they don't have to do as much "amplifying."

Of course I could be missing something here, if so let me know!

Edited by mrd6

Team NorthWestSPL

Steve, I have a question that I've heard a lot of debate around. I just bought a Pioneer AVH 8400BH, and was wondering if I had to turn the subwoofer level up to the max which is +6 to get the entire 4v output? What are your thoughts? Subbed to this thread for all the knowledge being dropped.

the DD-1 only needs 1.2v to pick up signal.

Let me throw this out there that I have tested it to be effective down to .9v :D

Still waiting for this or seeing if you are blowing smoke out of your ass

:popcorn:

:ninja:

Edited by sensai_v3.6
had to add food

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

Steve, I have a question that I've heard a lot of debate around. I just bought a Pioneer AVH 8400BH, and was wondering if I had to turn the subwoofer level up to the max which is +6 to get the entire 4v output? What are your thoughts? Subbed to this thread for all the knowledge being dropped.

the DD-1 only needs 1.2v to pick up signal.

Let me throw this out there that I have tested it to be effective down to .9v :D

Still waiting for this or seeing if you are blowing smoke out of your ass

:popcorn:

:ninja:

FlameSuit2.jpg

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Stop hating on the dd-1 just because its an SMD tool... If it where to say snap-on or any other company name nobody would be questioning it and would trust it. Why don't you questioned any other tool???

that is the most retarted thing i have heard in a long time

.. man scammers would love to see you

i question everything i buy its my job as a consumer to understand and know what im buying if you didnt you would be buying every as seen on tv crap they advertise that dont work

if i came out with a cream said buy this it will make you 10 years younger you gonna just go buy it or ask how it works?

I wasn't referring to you I was saying in general

I ask and research as much as I can on just about everything I buy give me a break I'm still a noob those tv ads get to me lol jk I learn better by trail and error

Wasn't trying to start a problem with anybody

Is the ping pong open for everybody? ima see if i can take a 3 hour drive

ping-pong tournament at SMD HQ this afternoon.......bring your cash and your paddle. hahah.....gotta go spank up Jay-bird real quick he is out there talkin shit lol

Record it so we can see who gets stomped.lol Your a target for haters like ibleedmusick said cause you have what they want.Also you were able to take your dreams and passion farther than they did.Haters just hate 90% of the time.Keep living your dream and put up some more builds please.Oh I pm'd you did you get it sir if not could you pm me if you have the time.

Hey alpine, if you want I have the dd1 and you can use it, test it, or compare with a o scope. Post me know, skittles got my number

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Lots to comment on...

I've always said in the past the dd-1 is used to align the gain to the average loudness of the music you play. Yes 0dB is the safest setting but only tones are that loud so you are missing out on a bit of power using 0dB.

If you find your sub RCAS do not distort with sub level flat/zero... check the front/rear for distortion and use that volume number, then if at that number the sub RCAs don't clip you can raise the sub level until it does. Hope that makes sense.

After using the dd-1, an equalizer should be used to attenuate or turn down whats too loud, you shouldnt really need to boost it at all more than a few clicks and that EQ setting will change depending on the song/genre you are playing since every song is recorded at different levels. Its all about setting the gain to the average loudness of the music you play most.

I've used -5dB@40hz for my sub amps and any others I've set except for one individual who doesn't not listen to any of my music. A random average of 50 songs I've edited came out with a loudness of -4.6dB and I used to offer that tone to set gains with, so using -5dB@40hz is perfect. Reality is that everyone clips a little and we don't notice because 1) distortion below 40hz is extremely hard to detect by ear (need upwards of 20-40%clipped signal to detect) and 2) clipping, unless excessive, just equals a bit more power going to the sub.

My set volume on my headunit I use is 37 and I go from 35 to 38 depending on the song since they are all recorded/boosted to slightly different levels, one should not think every song can be ran at the magical distortion free number when the gain was set with a distortion free tone. A proactive volume finger is key to keeping things cool and making equipment last.

Moral of the story is you must get to know your systems limits and I always suggest checking a song through WMP Oscope/equivalent to ensure its not horribly squared off waves before it enters our car stereo.

Edited by Decaf
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Decaf, your a pros pro... and hang on everything you ever write.............................however

Geeeeeez, this got weird.... id rather talk and read about the PING PONG action!!!... is there any way you can do like mentioned above, and post a vid of that!!!...lol... i can already see PP balls flying outta ports and such..... (to think i paid 3 bucks in Haiti to see PP balls shoot from a box)

i like your ideas what about paint balls or golf balls to see if it leaves a welt

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps