its the timing N8.. not the fuel. with more octane the timing on computer controlled cars advances. with lower octane the timing is retard..

i dont believe octane increases hp. the times i seen te improvements are on the dyno after the timing gets tweaked for the better fuel

its the timing N8.. not the fuel. with more octane the timing on computer controlled cars advances. with lower octane the timing is retard..

i dont believe octane increases hp. the times i seen te improvements are on the dyno after the timing gets tweaked for the better fuel

That is exactly what it is. Unless the octane is keeping the engine from operating at full potential (i.e. detonating from compression rather than from the spark) then octane won't increase any kind of output.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

U need gas that matches the engines performance

Sorta, you can run a higher octane that you need, you just don't really get any benefit.

my brother had a 429 out of an older t-bird he put in his pickup. couldnt run anything less than 92 or it would ping like a bitch

Yeah that ping or knock is what happens when you run to low octane. Especially in older engines, todays engines can adjust timing and all that shit to accommodate for when the fuel detonates to a certain extent.

That is true. However some cars retard the timing so much on lo-test that performance is down right shitty. Wifey rented a Maxima when her car was in the body shop for hail damage. We ran one tank of 87 and the car just dogged so bad i think I could've out run it with the impala. Put in 93 and it takes off like a bat out of hell.

But Mario's explanation of octane is right on. It's simply the fuel's resistance to detonation, and higher compression engines can cause low octane fuel to detonate before the spark, and that's not so great for your motor. There's no more "power" in higher octane gasoline, just refined to burn smoother and when you want it to. Another way to think about it is that higher octane fuel burns more precisely than lower octane, and higher compression motors need a more precise burn.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Dickhead parking. The truck (on the left) was parked there first and is centered in the spot. How is the owner supposed to get in with the way the van has parked. At least the van driver folded in the mirror *sarcasm. Cocksucker. Ain't my vehicle, but still.

dickhead.jpg

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

The higher the octane the fuel the more compression it can withstand before it detonates. In higher performance engines, the compression is usually higher than the average engine. Most people run higher octane in those engines to prevent premature detonation. As long as you run an octane high enough to withstand the amount of compression in your engine there is usually no benefit to running a higher octane. Hope that makes some kind of sense to you.

How does one determine the amount of compression in order to figure out the octane they should be using?