Sonic Electronix

What's more important, good amp, or good subs?

Id rather have a good amp i had a shitty amp and subs and then got a good amp on my crappy subs and it sounds great now

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Polk audio coax running off hu

A good amp with a good clean power and signal source would be my choice if I had to chose between the two.

And good subs are more affordable then some may think because in some cases you are just paying more because of a logo. I won't mention brands but search around for some of the lesser known brands that are half the price or so but every bit as good or better than their bigger brand counter parts.

Good amp, BUT i choose both. period.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

I'd take a high end amp with low end subs every day. You're never going to get good sound out of a driver with a dogshit amp.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

I'd rather say good box before good subs or amp. Doesn't matter how good your amps or subs are if your box is shit.

X2

I've made some boxes for low end subs and they shit all over any sub in the same power range in a crappy box.

This is true, but I believe OP's question was around the raw equipment used vs. the design of things

Yes, That is my main question. I know a box is important, but really just curious between subs and amp.. And a good amp is definitely winning this battle right now.

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

Both. Period. If you cannot afford high end equipment then get decent equipment. It's not like all of car audio is made of gold or made of poop. We have options, choices, as well as a plethora of good used equipment. I know what you're asking but if I was seriously on a tight budget there are a million things I could do to make it work so I have a hard time answering you're question straightforward. It is not this or that. Give a budget and watch a hundred recs come in withbwhat you could do.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Amp box subs. In that order

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I'd rather have a 600 watt sub and a 1500 watt amp than a 1500 watt sub and a 600 watt amp :shrug:

amp made a different in mine truck had a ssl 400rms amp cheap with 2 cvt12 sounded good hit good also,but I bought the 05 t1000bd amp totally different every thing was better.now with my new setup 2 sd-2 10d4 wire to 1ohm on that t1000bd shit slams.

02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab 3rd gen

2 sundown sd-2 d4

soundstream rub1.2500 amp

all sky high car audio-fuse,fuse holder,wire,ring lugs and rca

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

04 5.7l hemi motor swap and made it an slt eletric everthing

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.c...43?feature=mhee

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190882-02-dodge-ram-1500-3rd-gen/

I will echo the others and say amp first.

I say amp for the simple reason that running a low power amp to a high power sub can cause more issues than the other way around. Trying to force a small amp to push a large sub can be detrimental to the sub and amp since you will likely be clipping it for it to push a decent sub.

I've personally gotten away with putting more than rated power to low power subs and gotten away with it as long as the signal was super clean.

Archived