Keeping blowing tweets and X-overs. Why?!?!

Karkov

My thinking was that the amplifier is not strong enough to handle a pair of components ... Not giving the components too much power.

They keep blowing because they can't handle the power. It's that simple, crossovers only melt because they got overpowered.

And passive crossovers usually can't handle 100W rms, or you would need some big and expensive crossovers.

I was thinking that too much stress on the amplifier, over working the amplifier, and causing too much current draw makes devices like that get too hot ...

We put gobs of power on our components with no problems ... I'm running my 5.25" component set at 150 wpc at the moment

So an amplifier that's not strong enough to power comps will burn up xovers? Didn't realize underpowering could do that but I guess I have some learning to do. I know you have much more experience than I do cableguy but I would think those RF amps have plenty enough ass to power any of the comps he installed. I'm starting to think it's a wiring problem maybe?

My thinking was that the amplifier is not strong enough to handle a pair of components ... Not giving the components too much power.

They keep blowing because they can't handle the power. It's that simple, crossovers only melt because they got overpowered.

And passive crossovers usually can't handle 100W rms, or you would need some big and expensive crossovers.

I was thinking that too much stress on the amplifier, over working the amplifier, and causing too much current draw makes devices like that get too hot ...

We put gobs of power on our components with no problems ... I'm running my 5.25" component set at 150 wpc at the moment

So an amplifier that's not strong enough to power comps will burn up xovers? Didn't realize underpowering could do that but I guess I have some learning to do. I know you have much more experience than I do cableguy but I would think those RF amps have plenty enough ass to power any of the comps he installed. I'm starting to think it's a wiring problem maybe?

No, the crossovers can't handle the amount of power the amp puts out, that's OVERpowering. Underpowering will never damage anything.

The amp is not stressed at all.

The amplifier can handle a lot more, 2 pairs of components at 2 ohm will work perfectly.

The amplifier can't be overworked, it's a very simple device, as long as you put a load on it that is higher then 2 ohm (in this case) and make sure the gain is matched to the headunit it will keep on working perfectly.

Just because you are running a 150w amp on a component set doesn't mean the component set actually sees 150w.

Your component set isn't active?

As I said before you need quite beefy crossovers to handle more then 100W.

OP:Try to measure if there is any DC coming out of your speaker outputs at the amp.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

OP:Try to measure if there is any DC coming out of your speaker outputs at the amp.

Will do, yea, never had this amp hooked up yet before this, just bought it a week or two ago.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

kirill007, on 10 Nov 2013 - 1:12 PM, said No, the crossovers can't handle the amount of power the amp puts out, that's OVERpowering. Underpowering will never damage anything.

The amp is not stressed at all.

And passive crossovers usually can't handle 100W rms, or you would need some big and expensive crossovers

I was kind of being sarcastic,I know underpowering won't hurt anything.. I don't see how the xovers can't handle the power if the manufactures are making them with RMS ratings of the speakers like they are. I can't see RF making T3 comps with a xover that can't handle the power that is recommended. I can't say much for Crescendos as I'm not running any,I do have a set of PWX 6.5's but not using them but I doubt 2 different manufactures xovers have failed like that with around rated power going to them. Maybe you're about possibly having some DC coming out instead of AC,that's a possibility but overpowering? IDK about that with those comp sets and amp combos.

The birthsheet of his amp was rated at 14.4 volts, if by chance his electrical is really strong and he is charging at closer to 15 volts or more wouldnt his rms go up to more than 124 watts per channel and possible burn up the crossovers? As we all have learned from steve meades amp tests that an amp on music puts out more power than his other tests it still could be an overpowering to the crossover and causing a melt down. The RF Power amps are some of the strongest out there, built for the abuse and longevity...Hence the high prices tags. I would either turn gains down some on your next go around or go active. I know you'll figure it out, really sorry to hear of the issues, audio guys worst nightmare to be burning shit up. But the RF amp bashing was getting tiresome IMO.

Just because you are running a 150w amp on a component set doesn't mean the component set actually sees 150w.

Your component set isn't active?

Actually, My component sees ALOT more than that if you count peaks ... but the amplifier is rated at 150 wpc at 50 htz (not the common 1k htz like everyone else) ...

... and yes, My 5.25" component set is running passive ...

Karkov ... Best of luck with your setup Sir. Hope you get things worked out.

Can't wait to see who is actually right here ... actually, I hope I'm wrong with this ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

The rating on those components may be the mechanical limit determined by the manufacturer maybe they missed something regarding the thermal limit of the crossovers? Idk.

I hope the manufacturer didn't miss something cause I am running the same components. Now I am wondering if they are gonna hold up.

The rating on those components may be the mechanical limit determined by the manufacturer maybe they missed something regarding the thermal limit of the crossovers? Idk.

I hope the manufacturer didn't miss something cause I am running the same components. Now I am wondering if they are gonna hold up.

Well I hope they last you bud. You're a good dude.

Archived