Second Skin Audio

Plywood vs MDF for boxes?

dylan117

i get that, I'm saying exact same box, tune, port. just one mdf one birtch. i heard the birtch would sound better. something about the wood its self. i read that on this site. not sure if its true or not just asking

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Quality birch ply is better is than MDF in pretty much every single way, except the price and MDF can take less work to get ready to paint.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Whatever you do, make sure the birch in not from china. I got a 4x4' sheet last summer to test, I set in against a wall the next morning all 4 corners warped inwards like a damn taco. Garbage.

The shitty birch has a lot of voids and red glue.

I like MDF I just don't like how it reacts to moisture. Even a humid day will make raw mdf warp and get "fuzzy" to the touch. makes me cringe.

I would use birch if it was not 80$ x 12 sheets would almost be 1k..

12 sheets of MDF is like 350$

Another option is Araucoply. In some areas Home Depot or Lowes will sell it, if not your local lumber yard may be able to get it. Its not quite as nice as birch ply, but its still void free and has more plys than the cheapo stuff you see at Home Depot.

In my area its around $45 for a 4'x8' sheet, which isn't too bad.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The majority of birch you will buy at your big box stores is crap, it is essentially plywood.

I encourage anyone to go look for themselves.

The birch you buy for 35-55 per sheet is plywood.

It has a very thin veneer glued to the top and bottom of the plywood giving it a birch like appearance but is filled with cheaper wood like Fir.

Birch is a heavy type of wood, almost as heavy as a sheet of MDF, but these cheaper birch plys are way lighter in weight due to the fact it is not birch. It is weaker, it is full of voids such as splintered wood, knotholes, and whatever else.

For a true piece of real birch your looking at $70+ per 4foot by 8foot sheet of 3/4 and it will only be a few pounds lighter than a quality sheet of MDF.

Archived