My 30 year old Cerwin-Vega! D-3s up and playing!

Well, another Thrift Store SCORE! These 2 Cerwin-Vega D-3 towers were sitting in a thrift store for about 2 months before I figured I had to have them. The only thing that stopped me from picking them up the first time I saw them was the fear of my wife's wrath! What would I do with them? Where would I put them? ....but once I did about 20 honey-do's around the house, I figured I was safe to pick these up.

I almost fell out when I saw the price. $5.99 each. Yes. SIX bucks for each tower. I put them in a gimpy wheeled basket and rolled them up to the register. The lady pointed at their "Monthly Special" sign and green stickers were half off. So yes- instead of $12 for the pair, I paid $6 and some change. HAHA ...and heavy isn't really the right word for these things... think dark matter and it is closer to understanding the mass these cabinets possess.

I did get a new foam surround kit from www.SimplySpeakers.com as the old surrounds were gone. An easy fix and for a bit over $30, I have 2 30 year old speakers (manufacture date inside the box is August 14th, 1984) that shake the house with just 40 watts each.

1980s boom boxes for the win. :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

cool bro!! I like old CV gear! it sounds mint and goes hard! and for 6 bloody bucks!! I am highly jealous thats for sure!

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent find brother !!! Feel Sorry for the fish though ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Dang!! $6 thats crazy

I love those thrift store finds. Im always stuck between "Wow thats a great deal" and "WTF am i going to do with another speaker? My house already looks like a damn pawn shop"

Cant pass up on those good finds though! Congratulations

WOW

Nice find!

I loved these guys back in the day. Still do. ;)

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

lucky you .... i re did my surrounds on my 1996 V.S series .. got mine from orange county speaker repair... they have older mids and stuff i was going to buy to make some towers but decided not too

Cool story bro! From the video it seems like they sound pretty damn good honestly. Probably the best six bucks you're gonna spend all year.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Archived