Second Skin Audio

Input for trunk hair tricks

If he don't get an alt, he's going to have to put those batteries on a charger weekly, if not daily, depending on how he plays of course. But if he's playing damn near full tilt everywhere he goes, that alt is never going to catch up with the batteries, and he's gonna have a bad time if he doesn't have a charger.

Dude is gonna have to do some extra work under the hood to get another alt in there if he wants 5kW. A second, externally regulated alt for just the audio gear would probably be the way to go.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

I had over 500ah of batts and a mechman 250 alt and it didnt support the crescendo 5500. Good luck

MY BUILD

1998 Ford Explorer 2dr sport

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Juicebox black cherry addition

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

miss my bc5500 and (4) 15's

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

A run of 0guage ofc is good for up to 300amps, if my t1500.1bdcp has a fuse rating of 200amps I'm sure a 5k will be higher. Plus mids and highs amps to keep up.

I could see that easily pulling over 400amps specially for burps. 1 run with a 300amp fuse and pop, new fuse needed. Try and use a bigger fuse, boom melted wire from exceeding its limits. Then a car fire.

throw on 2 runs off 0guage pos (and neg if wanted or if it helps which in this case it should)your good for up to 600amps and safe from popping fuses like crazy or a fire.

as for batteries he has xs knock offs.

yeah I would expect voltage to stay above battery resting voltage when running 4 batteries and a 120amp alt to power an amp pulling no more then 100amps on music.

however, if I had 4 xs d1200, 120amp alt and 0guage ofc I would expect to drop no more then .1-.2volts. Its a 100amp power draw, compare that to 400+ on the same setup.

looks like the 5k would be close to around 350-400amp fuse rating alone. Suck that out of a 120amp alt and a knock off batt bank. See how long you stay above battery voltage. Don't forget you have mids and highs to power. That could easily yield another 100amps of draw. Topped off with the 50-70amps the rest of the car uses.

that would drain a poorly maintained batt bank faster then my 3 kids and wife drain my pocket.

imo forget about hair tricks out the trunk. Get a hoe 270amp alt through your batt bank in that and start building. If your going to go big don't take short cuts. All out or nothing.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

A run of 0guage ofc is good for up to 300amps, if my t1500.1bdcp has a fuse rating of 200amps I'm sure a 5k will be higher. Plus mids and highs amps to keep up.

I could see that easily pulling over 400amps specially for burps. 1 run with a 300amp fuse and pop, new fuse needed. Try and use a bigger fuse, boom melted wire from exceeding its limits. Then a car fire.

throw on 2 runs off 0guage pos (and neg if wanted or if it helps which in this case it should)your good for up to 600amps and safe from popping fuses like crazy or a fire.

as for batteries he has xs knock offs.

yeah I would expect voltage to stay above battery resting voltage when running 4 batteries and a 120amp alt to power an amp pulling no more then 100amps on music.

however, if I had 4 xs d1200, 120amp alt and 0guage ofc I would expect to drop no more then .1-.2volts. Its a 100amp power draw, compare that to 400+ on the same setup.

looks like the 5k would be close to around 350-400amp fuse rating alone. Suck that out of a 120amp alt and a knock off batt bank. See how long you stay above battery voltage. Don't forget you have mids and highs to power. That could easily yield another 100amps of draw. Topped off with the 50-70amps the rest of the car uses.

that would drain a poorly maintained batt bank faster then my 3 kids and wife drain my pocket.

imo forget about hair tricks out the trunk. Get a hoe 270amp alt through your batt bank in that and start building. If your going to go big don't take short cuts. All out or nothing.

Yeah the amp may pull 500A, but there is not 500A traveling from front to rear. The majority of that is coming from your rear bank, where you have two runs from bank to amp. The only current you have running from front to rear is the alt and front battery's capabilities. A 250A alt, minus what the car is using, and a smaller battery up front is not going to exceed 300A. It's on the edge, but it will be fine. Go to a 270 or higher alt, bam, two runs.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

So you have 4 agm batts, stock 120amp alt sky high 0guage all around and big 3.

all that only a 1400rms amp dropping to 13.7 I'm guessing at the front battery.

5k will drop you below 11v most likely. Then shortly after that batteries will be dead and the amp will protect.

5krms needs at least 2 runs ofc, 250amp alt and an upgraded stock Bart with 1-2 batts in the back to hold above 11v.

I'm gonna argue against the 2 runs being absolutely necessary, assuming you mean 2 positive runs from front to back. IMO, 2 runs are better used if they are 1 positive and 1 negative.

Food for thought. A 20ft 1/0 guage wire with a 200amp load will already have a voltage drop of 0.808v. 2/0 will have a drop of .641v. That is why we usually do double runs of pos/neg. Less voltage drop on the rear bank under load.

I have 7 batteries total in my car. stock alt. does the alt charge my batteries after I blast the system hard and long? No, but that being said after a day of demoing I throw my dual pro agm charger on the batteries and call it night. It may take 6 hours to green light my charger but hey, it beats spending 400 dollars on an alt that will probably fail a month after I get it in and thats after spending 6 hours dropping my subframe. and then hear the same ol song and dance about...this never happens to our alts! LMAO.

Rock the stock till the bearings fall out! keep your eyes on the voltage. You dont have a ton of power so I think you'll be fine. Yes, you can Hairtrick. Tune the box low, not for hair tricks but because you deserve to hear all the notes most people miss when they tune high. Fyi my car couldnt hairtrick at 150@30 but a charger I did could with a 147.5@27.

Sometimes is as simple as cabin and or distance from the baffle to the front windows vs tuning. build tear down and repeat!

your amp will only draw 400 amps if your running a test tone for a duration. If you are playing normal music I wouldnt expext it ever draw more than 300amps for a 1/2 second at a time.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

I would say everyone's drop will be different.

I am running a 240amp alt, 2 g34 dekas and two runs of pos and negative 1/0 front to back.

3k of power about 4 if you count the 4channels. I drop from 14.4 to 13.8 on high bass notes I may see 13.5.

So 1v of drop is really not bad at all, all things considered.

Archived