gckless Posted December 25, 2014 Report Posted December 25, 2014 Here is a glue strength test done involving LaPage Carpenter's Glue, Titebond III, Gorilla Glue, Weldbond, epoxy, and hot glue: http://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/glue.html Couple different findings in that one, but the tester basically found that among the actual wood glues, it generally did not matter. Here is one testing different glue joint techniques, specifically clamping: http://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/glue_methods.html "Gluing method Breaking forces Average Sanded, 10 lbs clamping 160,160,150,150,135 151 Scraped, 10 lbs clamping 145,150,190 162 Sanded, clamped hard 135,150 143 Scraped, clamped hard 110,130,100 113 Gapped joints 170,180,185 178 Dry tenon, sanded 35,40,70 48 Summary: Only applying glue to the mortise of a mortise and tenon joint is a bad idea Excessive clamping force can weaken the joint strength by up to 20% A very smooth scraped surface is just as good, if not better than a sanded surface, as long as not clamped excessively hard Gaps in a joint, as long as they are filled with glue, do not aversely affect joint strength." These aren't super in-depth, but decent info. Take it how you will. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
n8ball2013 Posted December 25, 2014 Report Posted December 25, 2014 look at that titebond 3 came out as best overall. huh THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
Karkov Posted December 25, 2014 Report Posted December 25, 2014 Seen this a while back. That second test (clamp) sure is interesting. Wish they would have tested Titebond 2 in the first test...or is TB3 just stronger anyways? Either way Thanks for posting. That clamping is interesting because I clamp things hard thinking it helps but it must squeeze the glue all out? Plus it's nice knowing that a gap with lots of glue in it is still really strong, LOL! 2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD) 12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option 2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67 3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet) 1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4 4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps (rear fill only) 1 ~ XS Power D4800 1 ~ XS Power D3400 8 ~ XS Power XP3000 160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power 320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
audiofanaticz Posted December 25, 2014 Report Posted December 25, 2014 tb3 is stronger than tb2 and passes a higher standard for waterproofing, has a longer open time so it really soaks into the wood better when its drying for a stronger joint. Test is okay I guess, but Im baffled on why he used regular gorillla glue, and not gorilla woodglue. Elmers woodglue max would have been a key glue to also try. They also make a hotglue for wood as well, I have some in my garage, again why this wasnt used and just normal hot glue was used is head scratching. Id alo would of liked to see new bottles used of all glues, not glues that gotten thicker and cut down with possible water. Im also assuming he is from a different country, and maybe one of the reasons for certain brands but not sure. Either way, I will stick with my titebond3
CNF Kevosinn Posted December 25, 2014 Report Posted December 25, 2014 tb3 is stronger than tb2 and passes a higher standard for waterproofing, has a longer open time so it really soaks into the wood better when its drying for a stronger joint. Test is okay I guess, but Im baffled on why he used regular gorillla glue, and not gorilla woodglue. Elmers woodglue max would have been a key glue to also try. They also make a hotglue for wood as well, I have some in my garage, again why this wasnt used and just normal hot glue was used is head scratching. Id alo would of liked to see new bottles used of all glues, not glues that gotten thicker and cut down with possible water. Im also assuming he is from a different country, and maybe one of the reasons for certain brands but not sure. Either way, I will stick with my titebond3 dude....get some more glue *** SuperSeller Status Verified *** ( http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers/ ) "kevosinn's" astro van 8 custom Sundown Zv4 18's 4 Sundown scv 6000's CNF Distribution CNC parts Skyhigh wire some batteries SMD Meters and tools used on the installhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172877-kevosinns-vanwest-coast-skyhigh-car-audio-vehicle/ 16,000 watt walled silverado build.http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161965-walled-silverado-4-hdc4-15s-4-crescendo-3500s-and-much-more/ 8,000 watt 1999 Subaru legacy outback. Build log here: http://www.stevemead...ru/page__st__60TEAM CNF Distribution
Karkov Posted December 25, 2014 Report Posted December 25, 2014 Ah ok, so TB3 is stronger. I knew about the water proofing. Thanks man! TB3 for me from now on instead of 2 2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD) 12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option 2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67 3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet) 1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4 4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps (rear fill only) 1 ~ XS Power D4800 1 ~ XS Power D3400 8 ~ XS Power XP3000 160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power 320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
poorfish88 Posted December 25, 2014 Report Posted December 25, 2014 I just glue all my boxes TB3... No nails or screws at all.... I had the trash man say one time he wouldn't take them cause they won't break up. Lost that fight humbly cut all boxes up now... What an idoit I was, now the fucker won't pick up my trash at all if it's sticking out. TB3 is the real deal!
audiofanaticz Posted December 25, 2014 Report Posted December 25, 2014 Dude, I used almost 6 gallons of tb3 in my wall..... I re-uped on it a few times during the build. LOL I brad nail everything, they dont add strength 1 bit, but it keeps me from having to wait 24hours while a piece of wood is clamped and drying. This way I can glue and clamp a side on, put some brad nails in it, start putting another side on and about a hour later remove the first set of clamps.
rockFord_Expedition Posted December 25, 2014 Report Posted December 25, 2014 Dude, I used almost 6 gallons of tb3 in my wall..... I re-uped on it a few times during the build. LOL I brad nail everything, they dont add strength 1 bit, but it keeps me from having to wait 24hours while a piece of wood is clamped and drying. This way I can glue and clamp a side on, put some brad nails in it, start putting another side on and about a hour later remove the first set of clamps. x2 on the brad nails. I like that they keep your pieces lined up. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.