Sundown Audio

Where is 4 volts on hifonics amp?

akuma4u

^^^that method in the video is nothing to really go off of. Its a flawed way to do something, but other wise I agree with what you said.

Yes, it may be crude but it is pretty close. Here is another one of BigDwiz's videos showing how the 32V output of the amp matches the receiver. You're 100% right though, you can't tell whether it is clipping or not. Maybe stay at 31V-31.5V to be on the safe side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDts0-nw_qQ

-Frank

You also can't tel if the source is clipping or not using that method.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

It's easy. Set the gain half past yo mama's ass and quarter to her balls, lol.

Holy 5th grade saying batman. And that's actually 5th grade in the mid 80's :)

Never ending thread. OP you have been given help by some good guys on here. Its your system do what you want to it. But these guys really did try to help and the first 3 pages are you saying where do i put the gain knob to see 4 volts. Now you know fuck all that volts shit and get a tool to set shit right. $150 bucks to save thousands in equipment..... Thats a no brainer! good luck, dont smoke any equipment.

Yes, it may be crude but it is pretty close. Here is another one of BigDwiz's videos showing how the 32V output of the amp matches the receiver. You're 100% right though, you can't tell whether it is clipping or not. Maybe stay at 31V-31.5V to be on the safe side?

-Frank

That video is proving nothing..

The amp is being tested with a resistive load, so its going to be different than it being tested with no speakers hooked up (the amp unloaded).

You also see in the video that 32.5volts is only giving out 960ish watts at 1ohm, not 1500 like the amp claims. So where is that other 540 watts at???

So using MTXs method to tune that amp you would be looking at 38.72 ac volts of gain output at 1 ohm if you are to tune that amp by a multimeter only..

Now going back to Big Ds method, the reason he stopped at 32.5 volts is due to him seeing distortion on the DD-1, so he knows that if you continue to turn the gain up to 38.72 volts like the MTX method that he will be hard clipping the amp.

The 32volts is not a magic number to setting an amp gain to a radio.

What this video does show is that audiopipe amp does not make rated power at 1ohm, but lets say that it did make its rated power it would have a higher ac voltage output than 32volts.

So if we go back to using ohms law and using MTXs method of setting the gain to 32 volts like they did, chances are your clipping the living crap out of that little 500 watt amp they are using.

You're right. I am basing my thinking on the older amps. So I do apologize. I see what you are saying.

There's a reason I like Crossfire amps. They rate their power based on 12.5V not the 14.4V, and add a few hundred more watts and stick it on the box. lol. Either at 12.5 or 13.8V or 14.4V I know where I'm at with my Crossfires, my Lanzars, my RF a2's, my PPI, etc. I'd like BigDWiz to test my Avionixx CXD 2800M to see if it really does 1300W @ 1Ohm because I have 3 of them. lol.

I do believe the DMM method will work on any of the old school *quality* amps since the numbers were either real, just about their, or completely "underrated" as they like to use on Ebay. Along these lines, I still get a kick out of MTX's old advertisement of the black amps they made. The MTX Thunder 2160, love that amp! It boasted 425W right on the box. Of course that was at 14.4V. Alittle misleading to the guy with a 4 cylinder engine, but not necessarily false advertising.

A car audio mag did a bench test on the MTX 2160, and the 80W x 2, was actually just past 100W, and the mono was even more than stated as well.

OP, get rid of that Hifonics amp. Get a real amp.

-Frank

Do we just pm the person? I was able to find one in Phoenix

Archived