Dumbest Thing You Have Ever Heard

GP Car Audio, and anything related to that brand, anything that comes out of the mouths/keyboards of the people that support, endorse, or sell that brand.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

There is a "stereo shop" right next to my body shop. I used quotations because these guys know fuck-all about stereos. I watched the dude make a "custom" fiberglass enclosure, he used an old kids blanket instead of chop mat, then poured so much friggin resin (which was way over catalyzed) into it. I thought for sure this customer's trunk was going to catch fire. I tried explaining how resin alone won't make it stronger, and how it was going to crack out all over. Dude just starred at me like a deer in head lights, then said "that's how I always do it and no one complains."

The damping factor of an amp would determine how many speakers it can drive. Yes? No?

No. The damping factor of an amplifier represents the output section's ability to dampen the moving mass of a loudspeaker after signal has been applied to and removed from the loudspeaker. We move the voice coil (a solenoid) of a loudspeaker using electrical current to excite a coil within a magnetic field, but when a coil or solenoid of wire is moved in a magnetic field it generates current. This current is represented as back-EMF (electro motive force) that is applied from the loudspeaker to the output stage of an amplifier. The higher the damping factor of an amplifier, the more effectively the amplifier is able to stop the moving mass of the loudspeaker. Believe it or not, the diameter and temperature of the wiring between the amplifier and the loudspeaker has more of an effect on the amplifier's damping factor than the solenoid itself. Though for each solenoid placed in series, the damping factor is halved.

Some people say they can hear the difference between a pair or set of loudspeakers in parallel and one in series, and I wonder if the compromise in the damping factor for the series set is one of the differences some can hear. I've never had an application for series loudspeakers and tried it so I really can't say for certain.

Just a quick point on the odd number of drivers argument;

For resistance in series - Rt = R1+R2+R3

For resistance in parallel, add the reciprocals - 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3

As an example, three four ohm nominal impedance drivers or solenoids;

1/Rt = 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4

1/Rt = .25 + .25 + .25

1/Rt = .75

Rt = 1.333 ohm

Four four ohm nominal impedance drivers;

1/Rt = 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4

1/Rt = .25 + .25 + .25 + .25

1/Rt = 1.00

1/Rt = 1 ohm

Out of the two examples above, the three drivers in parallel would place a nominally 'safer' load on a one ohm stable amplifier. Like a few members said above, the number of drivers is irrelevant to the total impedance presented to the amplifier. It does effect the amplifier in a number of other ways though you are less likely to be able to observe them audibly in the low frequency domain.

Dumbest thing I've heard? I really couldn't say but

"that's how I always do it and no one complains."

sends chills down my spine. Whooee, don't ever tell me that.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

GP Car Audio, and anything related to that brand, anything that comes out of the mouths/keyboards of the people that support, endorse, or sell that brand.

I agree except one of my good friends is a mutual friend of Tyler aka Purpl ... He is probably the most straight forward of that crew. He is different from the rest of the derps

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

I agree except one of my good friends is a mutual friend of Tyler aka Purpl ... He is probably the most straight forward of that crew. He is different from the rest of the derps

there is a few that roll with them that are decent. It's hard to have a legit company whenever all the representatives do is bash other brands and try to push their products over everything else. .

The GP Oklahoma guy is one of the biggest fucks I've ever encountered. "Northstar this, GP Wire that. XS Power fuckin sucks dood" He got butthurt and blocked a couple of my buddies because we told him that we can get GP Wire cheaper by just buying it directly from Tristar and having whatever we want printed on it... I won't even go to shows in the northern part of the state since I run XS Power and support Meade... it's instant flame for supporting Steve.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

I find that people who run their mouth on the Internet get church mouse quiet in person. You can get punched in the face in person so the attitude gets left behind the keyboard

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Audio shop saying I can't wire up 3 subs. it has to be an even number.

Actually, I would not suggest doing this unless they plan to run each sub driver on its own amplification.

Just saying

How come?

The explanation might be a nice addition to this thread.

on topic:" I'm going for a 4th order to be louder across a bigger frequency range.."

I tried it one time and no matter how i wired it there was always one sub out of phase. It was the weirdest thing i've ever seen.

Archived