Smaller pulley. Doesn't need a smaller belt.

Put in a HO alt, only get some belt slip and squeel when at the tip of my RPM range when the car is shifting up or if you just left off the gas from taking off. The mechanic says it can't be fixed, and that the issue is, the smaller pulley on the alt. As well, putting a smaller belt on, still won't fix it. So by this guys logic, 1 + 1 = ???, it don't equal 2, but he don't know what it equals. Fucking ranting so god damn hard right now.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

You should get a smaller belt if you put in something with a smaller pulley. That's common sense. I wouldn't recommend using that mechanic anymore.. He's not much of one.

Normally the belt tensioner will take up the slack and hold the belt tight with its internal spring. The tensioner might be ok with a smaller pulley if it has enough range of movement. The amount of belt wrap around the pulley can also affect if it will slip. Some factory setups have crappy belt wrap and it is a wonder that they don't squeal to begin with. I would also wonder if the guys running multiple alts get belt slip on the crank pulley. I don't know if a different brand of belt might help this or not. I am surprised that someone doesn't lake a tensioner with a heavier spring. Even if you put the big pulley on it, the increased load might give the same result. Might want to call the alt company to see what they say?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I have already talked to the alt company on what to do. I know I need a smaller belt, not a bunch but a tad. The mechanic told me they went and bought 4 belts, and did not even put on the smallest one. Which I told the guy you should have because this issue would be gone. He didn't think so, he's a mechanic he said lol. I can't wait to put a smaller belt on it and laugh my ass off at him. Because he knows alls

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

U could also look into get a bigger idler pulley that way the belt can stay the same I would start with 1/2 to an 1 inch that's what I did on my F150 1 belt was just alittle to loose and next shortest wouldn't fit.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

U could also look into get a bigger idler pulley that way the belt can stay the same I would start with 1/2 to an 1 inch that's what I did on my F150 1 belt was just alittle to loose and next shortest wouldn't fit.

That was out of the question. My stock alt was shot so I needed a new alt in asap. And this one is so big, to take it out to service the alt, the entire right side axel and drive assembly needs to be removed. Way to much work to change out a simple pulley.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I'm not talking about the alternator pulley , Evey car has at least 1 idler pulley most have 2 . They are very cheap like 15 to 20 bucks. Never touch that alternator pulley.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

just as easy to replace the belt as it would be an idler. Would still have to take the belt off, either way.

and fuck doing an alt in a 4cyl escape. even a 3.0l v6 one. not a fun task to do.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

It sounds like he tried different belts so the next cheapest option is a oversized pulley , and those alt's suck and they are very common for going bad they get overheated back at the bottom of the motor , newer versions have a air tube that feeds air to it to try to keep it cool.

Your mechanic could be right,

If your tensioner pulley doesn't have a lot of travel a shorter belt might not help.

Change the belt yourself and see if it helps or not.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived