Info on going from 12v to 14v

Yup. Depends. My blazer took 15.9 for 3 years fine. If I turned it up into the 16s, shit would get funky  

The Burban took high fine also till we switched to 2 systems. The twins in Canada have charged the purple rig high for seasons. Not a issue. And I'm talkin HIGH. Well over 16v. Depends on the rig, platform. All mentioned are older rigs for sure. My Acura hates over 15.4  

That said in this situation, Op won't see any real gain. Big time to the ear. Won't even notice a difference at all I'd bet. Upper volt cells cost more, have less 

edit - what amps are you running OP ?  Your boards may not even like a higher charge. My  bdcp amps didn't like 15-16v. Straight to protect. 

3 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Your rig may handle 16v. I dont know, cant answer. Being a sedan, 06, i would think codes, dummy, and dash lights may go full retard. It may eat your ecu, and some un fun stuff. 

But, it may not. You could possibly charge at like 15.9, or so, and be fine. I dont know.

Even then, you wont see much, if any real diff or gain imho. You not running much power, your not competing (trying to net every 10th db). Also, 14v bats are NOT bigger, in fact, they have much much less reserve/amp hour.

Im not sure why you are wanting a 14v system. Why are you ? Because your watching way to many amp dyno vids?

I was thinking about it becuase when i look at almost any amp spec sheet, the 12v rms and 14v rms are way different. 14v giving way more rms. Its just something i noticed when looking at most amps spec sheets.

so regular 12v agm batteries are best for my situation? Can a 12v battery reach +14v on a voltage meter? And hold it there pretty good? The way i was assuming it is 12v batteries can only hold 12v on a meter. And 14 holds 14 on a meter and so on. 

2 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

A buddy of mine had a 97 Buick one time. The alt ran away and the head lights were so bright until they finally popped. The battery fried out all of the electrolyte. After a new alt and battery everything was good. lol

Was that from him switching to a higher Voltage battery?

1 hour ago, Kyblack76 said:

Yup. Depends. My blazer took 15.9 for 3 years fine. If I turned it up into the 16s, shit would get funky  

The Burban took high fine also till we switched to 2 systems. The twins in Canada have charged the purple rig high for seasons. Not a issue. And I'm talkin HIGH. Well over 16v. Depends on the rig, platform. All mentioned are older rigs for sure. My Acura hates over 15.4  

That said in this situation, Op won't see any real gain. Big time to the ear. Won't even notice a difference at all I'd bet. Upper volt cells cost more, have less 

edit - what amps are you running OP ?  Your boards may not even like a higher charge. My  bdcp amps didn't like 15-16v. Straight to protect. 

Dont have any sub amps lined up yet. But for my front stage, a mosconi AS 100.4 and a mosconi AS 200.2. 

image.png

12V

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

8 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

Was that from him switching to a higher Voltage battery?

No his regulator in his alternator malfunctioned and was putting out a higher voltage and it didn't hurt anything in the car except the headlights and battery. He got lucky it didn't burn down or fry the ECU or something.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived