Sign in to follow this  
Antoni Čović

Maximum Car Voltage

I wouldn’t go over 15v , my truck hits 15.2v at times but U go to high and PCM’s fry . Also every manufacturer is different some PCM’s might turn off before damage . It’s a hard thing to follow but safe is always 14.7v.

3 Sundown SA-10's D4 ohm

American Bass VFL 120.1 Running at .6 ohms

250amp alternator

Mids all Alpine type R 's 2 set's of 6.5 components and 1 set of 6x8's 

3 Rockford PBR's 300x2

6 Kinetic batteries

F150 Supercrew 2010

It varies from vehicle to vehicle tbh.

I think 14.7 is a bit conservative given that  PCM controlled smart charging systems go into the 15+ range. My tahoe charges at 15.2 before dropping down to 13.1.

My old subaru would tolerate 16.4 before the ABS went into safe mode and shut down. It burned through halogen bulbs like potato chips though. I eventually got most everything swapped to LED

FWIW: Consider an alternator failure that might push a stock charging system to the 16-17v range. The systems have a pretty wide range of both voltage and temperature conditions they're intended to run at. This is by no means a guarantee of safety. More of a contextual piece of info. If you're not willing to test limits yourself, see if you can contact either the manufacturer or a local shop to see if they have access to documentation on voltage ranges of various modules.

If you could provide more info on the project you're working on, perhaps we might be able to suggest a better solution

16 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

It varies from vehicle to vehicle tbh.

I think 14.7 is a bit conservative given that  PCM controlled smart charging systems go into the 15+ range. My tahoe charges at 15.2 before dropping down to 13.1.

My old subaru would tolerate 16.4 before the ABS went into safe mode and shut down. It burned through halogen bulbs like potato chips though. I eventually got most everything swapped to LED

FWIW: Consider an alternator failure that might push a stock charging system to the 16-17v range. The systems have a pretty wide range of both voltage and temperature conditions they're intended to run at. This is by no means a guarantee of safety. More of a contextual piece of info. If you're not willing to test limits yourself, see if you can contact either the manufacturer or a local shop to see if they have access to documentation on voltage ranges of various modules.

If you could provide more info on the project you're working on, perhaps we might be able to suggest a better solution

I have fiat punto mk1 and I was thinking to get Yinlong LTO batteries.. I heard that I need a little higher voltage to get all of them.. Thats why I'm asking. 

2 hours ago, Antoni Čović said:

I have fiat punto mk1 and I was thinking to get Yinlong LTO batteries.. I heard that I need a little higher voltage to get all of them.. Thats why I'm asking. 

5s pack and charge at 13.8? :unknw:

21 hours ago, Antoni Čović said:

What is maximum charge voltage that average car can safely endure? Thanks 

Average vehicles run a 12 volt system for a reason ... Just Saying 

2 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

5s pack and charge at 13.8? :unknw:

5x2.3v is 11.5v.. I just heard that to get all of them you need over 14.4v and that 14.4v is minimum to charge them.

1 hour ago, Antoni Čović said:

5x2.3v is 11.5v.. I just heard that to get all of them you need over 14.4v and that 14.4v is minimum to charge them.

I wouldn't touch lithium if I were you

• Haha (+1 Rep) 1