Second Skin Audio

Paper VS Carbon Fiber?

Tim Lam

hey guys,

so i've been planning my next build after i get all my resources,

and i was thinking what would be the difference between(for example a DC Level5) getting a normal paper cone vs a carbon fiber?

are there any advantages of a carbon fiber over a paper?

my friend just got a Type X and it also has a CF cone, vs a paper on the Type R.

is it more durable? a different sounding bass? stiffer sub?

I like a paper or carbon fiber cone. They have a great sound to them. Carbon would most likely be much stronger than any pressed paper, pulp. etc.I don't want to start a shitstorm but the materials do sound different. They reproduce the same freq to be sure but they all have a unique sound.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I like a paper or carbon fiber cone. They have a great sound to them. Carbon would most likely be much stronger than any pressed paper, pulp. etc.I don't want to start a shitstorm but the materials do sound different. They reproduce the same freq to be sure but they all have a unique sound.

and what difference of sound do they make?

and what difference of sound do they make?

It is hard to put into words. I think metal and poly cones sound more synthetic. While paper and carbon have a more natural sound. It's not to say that they all don't have their place. I know some people only use paper when they listen to acoustic music. Aluminum is a great material but is better for midbass.This is all personal preference of course but I believe I can hear the difference and prefer paper but that is just me. Maybe someone else can help me define it a little better.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

The cf cone is purely sex appeal for 99% of sub owners. It is obviously much stronger than the paper cones, but unless you are an extreme competitor and feeding 10k+ to one sub or have severe loading issues that cause you to destroy cones, then the cf cones serve no purpose other than looking sweet.

Needless to say I custom ordered 4 for myself :woot:

I know I was a lil hesitant at first when i built my cf lvl 5 m2's. In the past all I had heard for cf cones was on dd subs. They had a distint hollow sound to them.

Much to my surprise the cf cones did not sound hollow nor could I tell a distinct difference between the paper or cf. As stated above for most folks it will be purely cosmetic. For guys like me its a life saver lol

• 2 months later...

not to bring up a dead thread, but what is the weight difference between the CF cones vs the standard Paper cones? how about the upgraded ar cones? I'm guessing it must be negligible since everyone is saying that it makes no difference (except for strength when you get to extreme spl levels). Just curious.

Archived