Second Skin Audio

Help trying to reach 160 decibels

I did just shy of 60 at 40 Hz on music. Cost me about $16k not including $800 for the van. ?

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the only way you're going to get there with that cone area in the bandwidth would be buying an armored car or reinforcing whatever car it's in the the point where it's essentially bomb-proof. The louder you get the more pressure you lose from panels flexing, gaskets leaking, etc. Doing the theoretical 3dB you can extrapolate that the world champions could put up a 160 with probably under 1000W.

Really if it were me, I'd be using as much cone area as you can fit.... say 2 dozen 200$ 12's. Add power as budget permits and spend the rest of your money into armor plating and other things to make box and cabin as rigid as possible.

Tuned in if you do and what it took to get there...................

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

I'd say the only way you're going to get there with that cone area in the bandwidth would be buying an armored car or reinforcing whatever car it's in the the point where it's essentially bomb-proof. The louder you get the more pressure you lose from panels flexing, gaskets leaking, etc. Doing the theoretical 3dB you can extrapolate that the world champions could put up a 160 with probably under 1000W.

Really if it were me, I'd be using as much cone area as you can fit.... say 2 dozen 200$ 12's. Add power as budget permits and spend the rest of your money into armor plating and other things to make box and cabin as rigid as possible.

Personally, I have seen a Chevy astro with a CONCRETE wall tuned in the 50s, 8 15" FI Btl's with 8 dd m4a's thick ass plexi windows and the entire back half of the cabin was concrete coated. It did 158db and that's like 40 grand worth of products and hard work.

That's a horrible score for that gear

Sometimes you don't always reach your goal. This dude spend some money,there was a shit load of components and 4 channels all over the place, with a huge battery bank. I think his enclosure was to small. As it only reached from in between the b & c pillars with room for like 14 amps and 12 batteries behind the wall.

• 2 months later...

Archived