Second Skin Audio

Frankenwoofer Ideas

Daboxxstl

Some of the best woofers i have ever used have been Frankenwoofers....left is a eclipse Ti pro/tc 5200 motor with a 4in 2.7in ww 8layer coil from PE, 4 tc lms ultra spiders,Ground Zero plutonium GZPW cone and carbon dust cap...right is a RE audio destroyer motor with same spec coil from a FI sp4 from PE ,triple tc spiders, sundown Zv3 cone and carbon cone ....both on candy blue Ti baskets

20130617_123207_zpsdb7abb02.jpg

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

Gross oversimplification of what it takes to design a subwoofer close to anything Fi, sundown, RF, JL, Focal, anyone.

If you open up Sundown on Facebook you can read some of his write ups on the more simple things of designing a subwoofer.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Frankenwoofers are dumb in my opinion. If you want to get loud just buy a good sub like a nsv3 or any team sub.

Your never going to get parameters for the sub you "create" and it's a toss up when determining airspace, tuning and port area.

Have To disagree with you there...plenty of tools out to get the parameters for woofers ...

Yea and I'm sure they are very cheap.

Trying to save op some money I'm not saying it can't be done.

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

Frankenwoofers are dumb in my opinion. If you want to get loud just buy a good sub like a nsv3 or any team sub.

Your never going to get parameters for the sub you "create" and it's a toss up when determining airspace, tuning and port area.

Have To disagree with you there...plenty of tools out to get the parameters for woofers ...

Actually they are relatively cheap

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dats-dayton-audio-test-system--390-806

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Maybe a kicker solo x 18 motor bore out to fit a 8 layer coil instead of the 4 layer standard coil. Using a DC audio Lv5 3.5in 8 layer coil. 15 Ti basket with 4 10 inch spiders. Sounds real good to me. Like the one in avatar made by Trent.

Actually they are relatively cheap

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dats-dayton-audio-test-system--390-806

Tony D and Steve have a tool for most all the parameters. However not as cheap as the Dayton it is probably of superior quality and has a lot more features.

http://www.wccaraudio.com/front-page-categories/most-popular-products/smd-im-sg-impedance-meter-signal-generator.html

http://youtu.be/CfcBuGDeJrg?list=UUJQHozLKDeXTA-_W8DVaD3A

Archived