ampere audio processor

I saw the helix and no place has reviews on it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4EDbHCyBMsD/p_975HELIXDS/Helix-DSP.html

HU: Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT

Mids & Highs: ML280.3, ML700.3, ML1800.3 Mille Legend Series 3 way

Lows: x3 JL Audio 12TW3 powered by JL Audio RD1500/1 

Cable: x2 Skyhigh 0 Gage OFC kits. Skyhigh 8 gage & 16 gage OFC speaker cable

Sound Deadener: 121 sq feet of Skyhigh 120mil
DSP: AudioControl DM 810

Project Build Log

Click here: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SQ Build to see the build progress.

The Helix is a beast. And most use it because it's 56bit. It's a fantastic piece.

With that said... the Ampere is no slouch. I've been running it for a few months. The "graphical" part in the specs is a typo and needs to be corrected. It's 10 bands of parametric per channel. And the frequencies are user selectable. Meaning... you're not "stuck" with choosing between fixed bands. If you need to cut at 892hz (or whatever) you can just input 892hz. You also get to choose the 'Q' of the adjustment.

If you're thinking, "Only 10 bands of EQ?" Here's a little info on the difference between graphic and parametric EQ (and EQ in general). Given the choice, most will choose parametric every time. 10 bands of parametric per channel is a shit ton of EQ.

http://www.presonus.com/news/articles/Equalizer-Terms-and-Tips

The inputs go up to 22v so you can pigtail speaker wire into RCA (OEM integration. No need for LOC).

Optical out is a fantastic feature for those that can utilize it fully.

Has an optional remote controller that has an independent volume control and several presets. This is good for a couple reasons...

In my truck, the factory tune is volume dependent. So with a volume control on the processor, I can set everything at a specific volume at the HU and use the controller so that I can ensure the signal is the one that I want.

The controller also has a USB input for you to plug into. That means you don't need a 20ft USB cord to tune from the driver's seat.

The presets allow you to change your tune on the fly. You can tune for one seat when it's just you in the car, then swap to the passenger seat for a demo, then swap to two seats if you want. Or if you're an SPL competitor... you can mute all the highs to save your midbass (and voltage).

Edit: I should note that you don't need the controller for presets. You can save as many presets as you want, but the controller allows you to change them without your laptop/tablet.

Did Ampere break any new ground? No. But it's a very powerful piece and extremely well priced.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome man. Sorry for the message the other night, but a working vid of this thing has been brought to my attention by many. (Including myself)

I bet I get one person a day asking my thoughts on it, and I tell em I've never seen or heard it I'm sorry.

Thanks for the vid man. :)

I saw the helix and no place has reviews on it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4EDbHCyBMsD/p_975HELIXDS/Helix-DSP.html

That's not then helix one being referred to, they are speaking of the helix dsp pro.

Which every time I look at it I have to change pants and fight the urge to buy it.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived