How to use rta??

I have access to a audiocontrol rta today, my eqs should be flat.. with volume 100% and I adjust the frequency on the eq (headunit) to get them close to flat? Am I right or wrong?

HU: Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT

Mids & Highs: ML280.3, ML700.3, ML1800.3 Mille Legend Series 3 way

Lows: x3 JL Audio 12TW3 powered by JL Audio RD1500/1 

Cable: x2 Skyhigh 0 Gage OFC kits. Skyhigh 8 gage & 16 gage OFC speaker cable

Sound Deadener: 121 sq feet of Skyhigh 120mil
DSP: AudioControl DM 810

Project Build Log

Click here: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SQ Build to see the build progress.

Opposite, i would tune my head unit flat then adjust on the rta.

Edit: also never put your volume at 100%, i would only do 75-80% so your head unit doesn't send an already clipped signal

I think you're lost on this one.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Opposite, i would tune my head unit flat then adjust on the rta.

Edit: also never put your volume at 100%, i would only do 75-80% so your head unit doesn't send an already clipped signal

I think you're lost on this one.

I've always been told that any signal going into a processor needs to be flat, if you adjust the signal at the source then whats the point in having an eq processor at all? I've also been told that most decks will send a distorted/clipped signal when turned all the way up, therefore you should only turn it up to 80% at most, then boost the signal at the processor instead.

I don't know if you know this or not, but not every head unit clips at 100%... That yahoo answer "75-80%" crap isn't true either. There's head units that clip a lot sooner than that too. Using tools that allow you to see your signal or the distortion in it (oscope, spec-an, DD-1, and more), lets you find out where your head unit volume can go to. I can go 100% with no distortion or clipping

Do you have a "pink noise" disc track ?? Can't RTA without one ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived