Need help choosing a set of components

TRD TUNDRA

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

• 4 weeks later...

Active : a pair of mids (Seas, Dayton, SB, Silver flutes,...etc) and a pair of tweeters (Vifa, Seas,...etc) on parts-express.com or madisound.com ($400) + a mini-dsp($100). That can leave you $500 for a 4 ch amp ($350) and some deadening products.

Passive : a good set of component speakers ($500) + a 2 ch amp ($300) + deadening (secondskinaudio or sounddeadenershowdown.com)

You could spend way less on speakers and amplifiers. It's up to you !

Tell us what you choose.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

^^^^ What he said.

Clean sounding speakers and amps are all cool and all, but you need to shape the sound to your environment....unless rap is all that you listen to...than you may not need a EQ or DSP.

Just my $0.02....Since putting an EQ in to the mix, man, you can take a decent set of speakers and make them sound great (to a point of course). My Infinity Perfect 6.1 sound sooooo much better EQ'ed than not. Don't always rely on an elaborate crossover to shape your sound.

You can spend your money the way you want. But a DSP or EQ will make a HUGE difference on what ever speakers you do get.

-Frank

Active : a pair of mids (Seas, Dayton, SB, Silver flutes,...etc) and a pair of tweeters (Vifa, Seas,...etc) on parts-express.com or madisound.com ($400) + a mini-dsp($100). That can leave you $500 for a 4 ch amp ($350) and some deadening products.

Passive : a good set of component speakers ($500) + a 2 ch amp ($300) + deadening (secondskinaudio or sounddeadenershowdown.com)

You could spend way less on speakers and amplifiers. It's up to you !

Tell us what you choose.

^^^^ What he said.

Clean sounding speakers and amps are all cool and all, but you need to shape the sound to your environment....unless rap is all that you listen to...than you may not need a EQ or DSP.

Just my $0.02....Since putting an EQ in to the mix, man, you can take a decent set of speakers and make them sound great (to a point of course). My Infinity Perfect 6.1 sound sooooo much better EQ'ed than not. Don't always rely on an elaborate crossover to shape your sound.

You can spend your money the way you want. But a DSP or EQ will make a HUGE difference on what ever speakers you do get.

-Frank

Bought a pair of Parts Express Buyout 6.5 mids, $12 each, and some Vifa/Tymphany 1 inch Silk Domes, $16 each. About $60 shipped in my front stage. Have a Clarion CZ702 running a Rockford Prime 300x4 active ($135 and $120 respectively) So we are at $315 now, spend another $100 on RCA's, and wire, install accessories... we'll just round it up to $450.

I like this setup better than my Sundown SA-6.5 components running active on a DD c5d. A $225 component set and a $300+ amp. With the same headunit.

$450 leaves you a lot of room for deadner and a substage. And shit, a damplifier pro Door kit is just under $80. Add shipping, so $550 in a front stage build that can kick some serious ass in terms of quality. Get a sundown e8v5 and a Rockford Prime 500x1 for $110 and $120 respectively, that's about $800 so far with shipping included.

Enough money left over for a nice enclosure, and beer.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

I love it when people ask what should I use , Always turns to a vs thread . Lol.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I know almost nothing about mids and highs.

In this case the last thing you should do is buy mismatched speakers without hearing them and try to set up and tune an active setup. Unless you have help. Patient help.

Try to physically listen to some component sets and find something you like. Then put the biggest, cleanest two channel amp on them that they'll handle safely, using the passive crossovers that an engineer designed specifically for them. Higher end component sets ($350-up in a huge generalization) will many times have some eq-ing and phase compensation built into the passive crossovers that will help keep them sounding great in a variety of environments.

Static drops are my bag.

I love it when people ask what should I use , Always turns to a vs thread . Lol.

Yeah, to a point a can be. Either way it's advice. lol. Like I tell the kids this all the time...."Advice is an insight on a problem you have yet to encounter/experience". Ofcourse they look at me like I'm stupid. Suggestions at best are "Hind sight" suggestions, like "Man if I were to do it over again" like purchasing separate components and/or a EQ/DSP. It's one of those decisions you just do not want to get wrong....but honestly how many times, did we do something only to change it within a year anyway?? Funny how people are worried about spending $$$ like on a set of components, but they'll drop $$$ to increase the bass output- subs are components! We're always going to be in a state of progression. Nothing is ever finite. lol.

JK13 did touch on a very good point. It's all in what you like to hear, and what you want to hear.

Celine Dion's "My Heart will go on" has subtle yet impressive instruments, vocals, and low bass notes that you want to point out as you listen to it.

Enya's "Sail Away" is another awesome sound track.

Yello's "The Race" has great highs, and reallyreally punchy bass.

If the comps you're looking at can't handle reproducing these songs properly, move to the next. You'll hear the difference with the higher prices components.

But than again, if all Tundra wants to listen for is.........

"Black X6, Phantom
White X6 looks like a panda

Goin' out like I'm Montana

Hundred killers, hundred hammers

Black X6, Phantom

White X6, panda"

Than any set will do. lol.
-Frank

Archived