Sundown Audio

Need help deciding on an amp.

Nico408x

I need help deciding on an amp to purchase, I'm currently running one kicker cvx12 wired at 1 ohm to a 800 watt pioneer amp. I recently purchased a couple FI bl12v3s fully loaded and have been looking for an amp to run them at 1 ohm. No, I don't have the electrical to support an amp to run them but I plan on playing it low and watching voltage till I upgrade, can anyone suggest an amp, would like 2.5 to 4k at 1ohm and 1.5 or more at 2. Budget is 550usd but I'm willing to pay more if it's high value and on sale or if I just feel impulsive enough.  I've been looking at the crescendo symphony s1 plus but I'm still new to car audio, (built my first system less than a year ago) and don't wanna make a purchase and then regret it, like I did with my cvx.

Thanks in advance for any support/advice, I really appreciate it, 

-Nico :)

15 minutes ago, Joe X said:

Why would you be wanting to buy a 2500W amp if your two subs together will want more than 4K to work as expected?

I plan on upgrading eventually and 4k amps are expensive, I have a budget of 550 give or take 100. Also, I'm new and I've only had 1 amp and 1 sub before this so I'm not very educated.

1 hour ago, Nico408x said:

I plan on upgrading eventually and 4k amps are expensive, I have a budget of 550 give or take 100. Also, I'm new and I've only had 1 amp and 1 sub before this so I'm not very educated.

The Sundown SFB 5000.1 is a little over $500 and would do fine with those subs. Thing is, you need more electrical support. Even if you baby an amplifier and watch the voltage, you still run that risk. 

I would slap that kicker for another year or so. Throw that $500 that you're using for an amp at your electrical. Then start saving for an amp. 

No use buying an amp and damaging it because your electrical can't support it. Or worse, burning your car down because the amp catches fire. That would be a lot more expensive than waiting until you're ready. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

5 hours ago, Nico408x said:

You can do a D4S JP23 amplifier which will source 2500WRMS @1 ohm, $349, it is reliable and can work in non ideal electrical without issues.

8 hours ago, Joe X said:

You can do a D4S JP23 amplifier which will source 2500WRMS @1 ohm, $349, it is reliable and can work in non ideal electrical without issues.

I was thinking about this, and I could run both off the 1 amp and the get another jp23 after my electrical is upgraded.

Dose anyone know what size alt I'll need for 5k watts? I was looking online and the largest I could find is a 250a, I have an e46 so it's kinda hard to find ho alts 

Singer is a great alternator company.  One thing youll want to check is if your car has a current sensor on it that drops your voltage to around 13 volts in certain situations if so then you need to see if singer has a piece that tricks the voltage to run in the 14 volt range like youll want it to.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:52 AM, Joe X said:

Not the biggest fan of JP. In fact, he annoys the hell out of me. That said, I've bought some gear from the D4S site, and was wicked happy with everything. Price, the shipping time, and the communication through out was very very good. Him and Rabe at SHCA just have the shipping shit down, and real good, hell, damn good customer service. 

Also, the boards he is using (the ones I've looked at deeper) are VERY VERY proven boards/designs, that have been used for a good amount of time, and they are very very proven. Regardless of what my personal feels are, I can more than give kudo's when they are deserved. 

Archived